Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5th month old beagle/hound puppy that sometimes does well with going potty outside and other times not so much. He understands that he needs to poop outside and will ask to be let out when he needs to but he doesn't do the same for pee. Is there anything I can do to help him? I've been taking him out every 2-3 hours or after a nap/food and giving him treats when he goes. Is there something else I could do?

·
Registered
320 Posts
You may need to reduce the max time loose indoors to 1 hour for a while, and then increase the time in increments as you have successful days without any indoor pee cleanup. It's possible too that your pup is feeling the call of nature when he needs to poop (and lets you know) but the urge to pee is sneaking up on him much more quickly, maybe too quickly to let you know first at this stage. Remember you can always stretch the reduced time-limit with crate time, or if your pup falls asleep you can just let him sleep and get him outside immediately whenever he wakes up.

The only other thing I can suggest is that when he's inside, restrict him to surfaces that aren't nice to pee on. I know my puppy hasn't peed on the hardwood floor in the kitchen, but the carpet felt close enough to grass to her, for pottying purposes. Basically, carpet is absorbent and tempting and readily available. :p We ended up gating the kitchen, so that after a set length of time (20 minutes up until she was 5 months old) she had to either (a) go in the kitchen, (b) go in the crate, (c) sit on someone's lap (since she wouldn't potty there) or (d) go outside for a bathroom break.

The goal is to have as few "oops"s as possible, so that the habit is to pee outside, but if there is a pee accident inside just calmly clean it up and remind yourself that you'll do better next time. Your pup will see that rewards happen if he goes outside, but you're bored and unimpressed if he goes inside...and he'll be aiming to please with an outdoor pee next time, to earn that treat. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts