Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I noticed that my puppy started hiding her treats. Right after I gave her a minty bone yesterday she went and hid it in my laundry and then today I gave her a busy bone and she jumped on my bed and hid it under the pillow.

What would be some reasons why she would start doing this?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've always thought that hiding yummy things to go back to them is just a dog thing. My dogs don't often do it but Peggy will sometimes if it's something high value that she's had her fill of for the time being, like a raw bone or something. I've watched her hide stuff like that in the backyard a few times but often she will go back for it very shortly. My in-laws' old dog, if you gave him something he loved like a brand new big smoked bone, instead of chewing on it he would immediately bury it in the backyard. I think it's just something they do! With Peggy, if I want her to finish it I'll remove it from the hiding spot and give it back a couple of times. If that doesn't work I put it up for later if it's something that can't hang out "hiding" and in my house it'll be stolen by my other dog. Left to her own devices does she go back for it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assumed it something that dogs just do, but I never personally experienced. And yes, eventually she does go back.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Two of my dogs just inhale their goodies, but one… she's a burier, lol. Couldn't tell you why, but most of the time she'll take her treat and try to hide it somewhere. She's done it as long as I can remember. I'd say it's just a "personality trait".

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 6-mo-old does this with anything bigger than a little treat. When I see her take a treat and then proceed to trot off somewhere with it, I remind her that her older brother (my 2.5-yr-old) is going to find it and eat it if she does that. She goes ahead and does it anyway. So most of the treats are very small if I want her to have a chance to enjoy them :)

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I've heard of this "saving food for later" thing....just never knew it really existed! All the dogs I know and have known are food addicts...like if they turn away from something edible for even a second, their whole world will end immediately.

I can't even fathom Bella purposely leaving a treat behind. It's madness I tell ya - madness!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Even Sassy the bottomless pit occasionally scored a big haul and hid extra food. Took us a couple days to find the chocolate bars she stashed around the living room when she scored a whole box of soccer candy bars.

Bucky adores apples and once full will bury them. He buried one on the sofa using his nose to cover it with invisible dirt then came back and dug it up to play with it some more. He's a mime! If I didn't know what he was doing I'd think he was having a seizure. Did the same thing with a bone he didn't want to chew on any longer as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts