Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I recently got a lovely little French Bulldog. I got him at 10 weeks, and have had him for just over 2 months now. He has been an absolute pleasure, and still is, only he has started pooping in his crate at night all of a sudden. In the two months I have had him, he never went at all, so I'm not sure why he is starting up. I have made sure that the crate size is correct, and that I take him out frequently. I got to bed at 12 and take him out right before I head to bed, and then I get up at 3am and 6am to let him out. He manages to soil himself both times. He is on a raw food diet, and eats his last meal of the day at 5:30. He does poop before bed which is another thing that confuses me. His poops are solid and regular. I also make sure I clean his crate very well and give him a fresh towel each time. He doesn't even make a sound to let me know he isn't happy or needs to go out. He just does his business and then falls back asleep. Can any body help??

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Puppies go through stages and sometimes they regress on their potty training. :) I would suggest a nice walk around 11pm before bedtime to get things moving along. I also would try to maybe up his last meal to about 4:30 pm if at all convenient. This would give him more time to clean himself out. If you need to feed at 5:30 due to your own schedule ... maybe the walk right before bed would help to not only move things along ... but tire him out and he may sleep a bit longer before having to go out again.

I find if I feed my dogs after 5pm ... they are still going to poo at 10pm or later ... on schedule! :)

Be sure to use an enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle ... on his crate floor or the smell will still be there and he will keep using it as a potty spot. Also ... sometimes puppies like soft things to potty on ... you can experiment with the towel ... unless he is not using the towel?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I really do hope that this will be a short lived phase. He is really such a sweet little pup. I tend to walk him close to 9, so I'll definitely try the 11pm walk this evening. Sadly I only get home at 5:30, so he can only be fed right then. I think I'm also going to start feeding him in his crate so that he can associate his crate with feeding and sleeping rather than anything else.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I really do hope that this will be a short lived phase. He is really such a sweet little pup. I tend to walk him close to 9, so I'll definitely try the 11pm walk this evening. Sadly I only get home at 5:30, so he can only be fed right then. I think I'm also going to start feeding him in his crate so that he can associate his crate with feeding and sleeping rather than anything else.[/QUOTE

Great idea! That just may help! The crate is supposed to be a place of safety and "all good things" happen there ... never a punishment tool. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts