Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I got my little Maltipoo last Thursday and have a few questions if someone could help please I'm a first time doggy owner so a complete newbie :smile:

He has had a flea treatment (advocate) when can I bath him he was treated on Sunday ?

He had his flea treatment Sunday but still seems to be scratching and when I've looked he also has flea poo on him. I am trying to brush him everyday to get him used to being groomed but does this mean the fleas haven't gone ? We have a house cat and she has also been tested as well as the house and I haven't found anymore fleas on him they started falling of clearly dying on Sunday night.

When can I start to try and train him to go potty outside do I have to wait till he's had all his injections ?

How long do puppies normally cry for at night ? We are putting him in a cage at night time and he has a bed and the radio on and also a teddy. He seems to be ok in it if I go out during the day but at night he cries and yelps recently I have noticed it's more of a naughty cry than an upset one like his first few nights.

Thank you

Xxx

·
Registered
52 Posts
How old is your puppy?

He has had a flea treatment (advocate) when can I bath him he was treated on Sunday ?
Advocate doesn't wash off, it's absorbed. You can bathe a few hours after treatment.

We have a house cat and she has also been tested as well as the house and I haven't found anymore fleas on him they started falling of clearly dying on Sunday night.
If you have more than one animal in the house, it's best to treat all the animals at the same time. Not seeing any on your cat doesn't necessarily mean they aren't there, it could mean that they are but haven't multiplied enough that they're noticeable.

When one of my cats brought home fleas, I treated everyone and all the rugs, too.

When can I start to try and train him to go potty outside do I have to wait till he's had all his injections ?
Immediately! No, you don't need to wait for shots to take the dog outside.

How long do puppies normally cry for at night ? We are putting him in a cage at night time and he has a bed and the radio on and also a teddy. He seems to be ok in it if I go out during the day but at night he cries and yelps recently I have noticed it's more of a naughty cry than an upset one like his first few nights.
For how long is he being left in the crate at night? Are you taking him out to go potty?

Also, please don't ascribe human behaviors to your puppy, he's not being "naughty" to cry and manipulate you. He is a little baby pack animal in a new home without his pack.

·
Registered
813 Posts
How old is your puppy?

Also, please don't ascribe human behaviors to your puppy, he's not being "naughty" to cry and manipulate you. He is a little baby pack animal in a new home without his pack.
The bolded is a myth, dogs really aren't pack animals, they were developed solely by humans to work with and for humans. Pack theory has been debunked for decades and even the original scientist who coined the term has attempted to undo the damage he did when his deeply flawed experiment became popular.

You're gonna have to ride out the crying at night, it will definitely be hard but eventually your puppy will learn that he has to settle and there is an extreme benefit to having a crate trained dog. Puppies are hard work and this is part of it. Look up "crate games" you can play during the day to get him used to it and to teach him the crate is a fun place. Also, you don't need to keep your puppy inside the house until his shots are done, just walk him around your yard or driveway to avoid areas where unvaccinated dogs could have gone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
While they may not be pack animals, dogs are social animals. He's been taken from the only family he has ever known and is now living with strangers. It's all part of the process. He will settle eventually and learn you are his new fun family.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi

I got my little Maltipoo last Thursday and have a few questions if someone could help please I'm a first time doggy owner so a complete newbie :smile:

He had his flea treatment Sunday but still seems to be scratching and when I've looked he also has flea poo on him. I am trying to brush him everyday to get him used to being groomed but does this mean the fleas haven't gone ? We have a house cat and she has also been tested as well as the house and I haven't found anymore fleas on him they started falling of clearly dying on Sunday night.

Thank you

Xxx
As far as the potty outside thing it really depends on where you live and where you are taking him to potty-- if you live in a apartment and in a town/city that is prevalent in parvo I would wait till he has all is vaccinations to take him outside-- if you live in a house and have a yard that no or not many other dogs are in then you can start taking him outside. You really just want to no have him in contact with unknown dogs and since some like parvo can live on surfaces for a long time not to take him to parks, stores (unless you carry) or the vet for no reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies

Teddy is 12 weeks old we picked him up last week the guy we bought him from said he'd been flead wormed and also had his first injections but then we found fleas on him and he couldn't provide me with certificates to show that he'd had his first injections so when I spoke to the vet when he went for a check up and register she said to just assume he hadn't had any.

I have treated (not tested stupid auto correct) Teddy and my cat and also my whole house so I'm hoping the fleas are now all dead.

He went outside when my little girl was playing before and did a poo in the garden so now I don't want to stop him doing this. We live in a house and have our own garden so should be ok I'm also going to bath him tomorrow then if you all think it's ok :smile:

Xxx

·
Registered
52 Posts
The bolded is a myth, dogs really aren't pack animals, they were developed solely by humans to work with and for humans. Pack theory has been debunked for decades and even the original scientist who coined the term has attempted to undo the damage he did when his deeply flawed experiment became popular.
Oh, good grief, that wasn't even the point. The point was that he has come from an environment chock full of other dogs and been thrust into one where he's alone in a cage at night.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Oh, good grief, that wasn't even the point. The point was that he has come from an environment chock full of other dogs and been thrust into one where he's alone in a cage at night.
IME, you should have said it that way-- some new dog people pick up on key words-- this then causes issues. CM and pack theory and several other things are things that show up frequently in searches new owners do and think that it is fact when it is not.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's an important distinction to make regardless of what you meant. Too many inexperienced dog owners think pack theory is truth and that they need to treat their dogs like wild animals and that's not the case. Googling pack theory or "dogs are pack animals" will bring in thousands of pages of misinformation and dangerous methods of training. In my opinion "dog" and "pack", should never be mentioned together regardless of the intended meaning because it just perpetuates this problematic way of thinking. Sorry if my correction offended you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's an important distinction to make regardless of what you meant. Too many inexperienced dog owners think pack theory is truth and that they need to treat their dogs like wild animals and that's not the case. Googling pack theory or "dogs are pack animals" will bring in thousands of pages of misinformation and dangerous methods of training. In my opinion "dog" and "pack", should never be mentioned together regardless of the intended meaning because it just perpetuates this problematic way of thinking. Sorry if my correction offended you.
Oh, I'm not offended. I just think the idea that people can't gauge the meaning of words out of context is preposterous and I generally don't dumb things down to the lowest common denominator. Mostly because stupidity pisses me off, haha. No offense taken, seriously.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW !!!!! Sorry if this caused annoyance ... it's my first post on here as well eek ......

Update on Teddy for anyone wondering ... he didn't cry at all in his cage last night and also did a poo in the garden when playing outside with my little girl !!! I was going to tackle one task at a time the first being the crying at night then when he was more settled try to get him going outside to potty ... one thing at a time !!

Took him to the vet this morning though as he woke up did a poo with a massive alive worm in it (im so upset so no horrible comments please) and kept scratching his ear and biting his leg. My other half got Teddy for me as a surprise and to keep me company while he works away but didn't get him from a professional and he had no history as I mentioned in my first post. The vet said it's good that the worm has come out as it means they are dying so to expect to see more but he also has ear mites though and now has drops for them for the next 2 weeks :( I feel so sorry for him he was obviously not cared for in his first 12 weeks of life before we got him and even though now he is getting all the medicine and help he needs to think he could have been suffering for the first 12 weeks breaks my heart.

He's fast asleep at the minute next to me (he had his first lot of injections this morning also) but hope he starts to feel better soon

xxx

·
Registered
52 Posts
IME, most puppies have worms, so I wouldn't feel too badly about that, OP. Has he been wormed, then?
My 2 dutchies were full of worms when I got them, and I just rescued my Mal, and she was full of worms, heartworms, and sarcoptic mange. You're making sure your pup gets vet care when necessary, so you're doing just fine, I'd say!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
It sounds like teddy has landed in much better hands and you are on your way with the potty training! Congrats on the new puppy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much for your kind words, my other half didn't buy him from a proper breeder so I suppose some people would say it's our fault but I have already fallen in love with him and I didn't want anyone to say anything about not buying him from the right place.

He was treated for fleas and worms on Sunday so I'm hoping he'll get rid of the worms properly soon. The vet said it's a good thing the worm came out this morning as it means the treatment is working and is killing the worms but he has done 3 more poos today and seen nothing do you think this is ok and a good thing or not?

I just always think the worst and panic I have awful anxiety about people and my pets getting ill. I was crying on the phone to my other half this morning about it, whilst at the vets I mentioned him scratching his ear so she took a look and said he also has ear mites so he has 2 weeks worth of drops for them as well ...... i'll be glad when everything is sorted and I know he's healthy

xxx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts