Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there :) I'm sorry if this may be a repetitive subject in here but I got a new puppy, she's 6 weeks old today and I've had her for an entire week.
She eats well and loves to play but I just can't seem to find a treat to catch her attention to get to the teaching part. I've tried apple, carrots, some actual dog/puppy treats of two kinds and even her kibble. She just smells it, maybe eats a bit but I don't find it enough for her to actually pay attention to me.
What are some good sugestions of treats I can give her? I'm also scared because she's so young I don't mean to upset her stomach...
Thank you all so much

·
Super Moderator
12,147 Posts
Little bit of hot dog, cooked chicken - even cheese (in moderation.)

My I ask, though, how you happened to get a five-week old puppy?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Usually the smellier the better as far as treats go. Cooked liver or heart are good. I've used left over steak, farmer sausage, chicken. But I've also had a dog that turned up her nose as prime rib and elk.

Some dogs just do not do treats, especially in stressful situations. I bring standard treats (Zukes, Natural Balance Roll over) to obedience classes as well as super special treats (varies with what crazy thing I find at the chic pet store like ostrich sausage). But when all that doesn't work, most puppies will work for play time. So I have a couple tug toys (one with fur trim) and a couple of soft crotchet balls. If we can get the dog to play we can usually get some focus and make steps towards some training. Got a Springer last night to keep her but on the floor for a full 5 seconds for a ball when she didn't give a flying fig about any cookies. That's the beginning of a stay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any kind of cheese that would be best?

Well, she's a rescue puppy, her mommy wasn't exactly in her best shape and she couldn't keep feeding all 7 babies she has had so the lady that was taking care of them gave them away to families. They were being kept in horrible conditions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, thank you so you're saying if treats aren't working I reward her with play time with her favorite toy, maybe?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
She is very very young. I wouldn't worry about treats at this point. In a couple weeks her attitude towards food will be completely different as she matures.

In general, the highest value treats are real meat (cut up chicken or steak, deli meat, hot dogs, sausage, liver, etc) or cheese. String cheese works well

·
Registered
773 Posts
Is there any kind of cheese that would be best?

Well, she's a rescue puppy, her mommy wasn't exactly in her best shape and she couldn't keep feeding all 7 babies she has had so the lady that was taking care of them gave them away to families. They were being kept in horrible conditions.
At that age, mum was weaning them, not struggling to feed them.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
At that age, mum was weaning them, not struggling to feed them.
Agreed. It's normal for mothers to feed puppies less around 5 weeks as they start to eat solid food, but it doesn't mean they don't need her care anymore, or that she's not providing for them in other ways (like socialization and teaching them to interact as dogs)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I totally understand she's way too young to come home at this point. On the other hand, if she was kept under those conditions any longer (way too close to the street and cars, without a shelter of any kind, dealing with weather conditions as it's been raining here almost everyday) I wouldn't know for sure if she'd live much longer as two of her siblings were already sick. I know that it would've been best to keep her with her mum but not where they were. And, unfortunately, I have no conditions to keep them all safe otherwise I would. We're trying to find someone who can watch over them more frequently (as the lady only sees them about once a week) and that can maybe keep them in a safer place along with mum. I know these are not perfect conditions for such a small puppy but I'm trying to do my best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts