Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay maybe its unfair to say he hates treats as I still have been unable to find something he likes. He's on raw so I can't use his food and the kibble from the breeder is too large for training. I'm going to try using ziwipeak to see if he likes that. The only thing I have had success with is cheddar cheese but I don't want to give him too much

My puppy also hates going outside. I have to carry him out the door or else it is a fight. Then when he gets outside he cries. Once we are out he will follow me in an effort to stay right by my side and he will chase me if I run but he doesn't aeem to enjoy it. Is this normal? I try taking him outside several times a day hoping he gets used to it. Is this the rightway of going about it? As soon as I find something he enjoys as a treat I will feed him that every time I take him out. I was thinking of trying bullysticks and only allowing him to have one outside. I am also going to see what that trainer reccomends and hopefully I find a treat before puppy classes tomorrow. I'm going to go to petmart and see what I can try out and he actually eats.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When you get to Petsmart try to find some Puperoni Sticks. My Puppy in the beginning would put all the treats in her mouth and then just spit it out. We started with milk bones, then some other things and it just didnt work. If that doesnt work try some cat treats. I know it sounds weird but cats food is more smellly and that draws a dog too it more. I know it sounds crazy but thats how my trainer at Petsmart got my dog to actually eat the treats. Also I had the same problem with my dog except opposite, she was afraid of being inside, so when we would pick her up and bring her in she would just cry and wine, because the person we got her from kept them outside and we got her at 3 months old. It was sad and it got hard but to make the pup feel more comfy just play with him and try to get his mind off of being outside. Throw a ball or just run back and forth with him, eventually he will learn outside isnt that bad.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Soft, smelly treats are good for training. First we did bacon & cheese Buddy Biscuits, then salmon flavored Zukes (the nasty smell is UNREAL!), and I recently got an awesome deal on freeze dried chicken breast so he's got those which he adores. Wellness jerky treats are good too, but at $12/bag, it's a little expensive when you consider how many treats we go through in a training class! At home we use lower value treats so we get better attention from him with the fancy stuff in class.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cali is really picky with treats too. We buy her "Zuke's Mini Naturals" (I think).. although Moses decided to eat the whole bag when I had it sitting on the table for about a minute while I went to go get Cali's leash. So now she's just eating mini bone treats called "Good Dog" and she absolutely loves them. They don't have too great of ingredients compared to the mini naturals, but she likes them and they're definitely not bad for her. She's the type to lift her nose at most treats anyways; the vet offered her a milk bone and she just left it on the table.

ETA: She also loves tiny chunks of cheese ( about the size of a finger nail, a tad smaller) and little bits of turkey.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See Benji must be abnormal... I bought him the Zukes and thats what he won't eat! I also tried some yam and duck jerky he puts it in his mouth but can't chew it... I'm going to need to find something softer!

So far he adores these air dried livers I got at the farmers market... But I don't know if I should give him a lot of it... Im going to try ziwipeak when he wakes up from him midmorning nap!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't think a bit of air dried liver would do too much, just take one piece and break it into a bunch of tiny pieces.. that's what I do with the chicken jerky that my mom bought the other day.

And as for going outside, just make it really fun for him and let him explore. You could also try training outside as well. :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You can start by feeding him outside, so it's a good thing to be out there. Also, use different treats, cooked chicken is a good one, another fave is to get some beef heart, cover it with water and add some garlic, let it sit in the fridge overnight, then boil. Save the broth for later (freeze in small amounts for topping meals etc.) and then slice up the heart, it's usually cheap and tastes like roast beef. You can get dried tripe, dried cheese, dried liver (bennies bullies) and other raw friendly treats.

At his age he might be in a fear period or he may just realize he's not big and brave enough to survive outside, not unheard of.

·
Banned
158 Posts
If he likes the dried liver, you can get all kinds of dried liver and lung pieces - if you are feeding him raw, it may be why he isn't a big fan of dry or biscuit-y treats - its unfamiliar in terms of taste, texture AND smell. Cooked meat pieces are also a great idea, and many dogs love carrot pieces (which are a little healthier if you are using a lot for training).

As for the outside thing, sounds like he is a little unsure of himself in the big bad world! Taking him outdoors a lot is a good place to start, but rather than trying to walk or run with him, just go to a park, and sit on a bench or the grass with him beside you. Let him sniff around, and get used to the noises, smells, etc without needing to move. Outside can be such a cacophony of sounds and smells and textures (grass, gravel, pavement, sand, wind, rain) that it can be overwhelming to keep moving through this whirlwind of new information. Give LOTS of praise as he sits with you outside, and slowly move to walking, etc. Start with shorter trips, so that he gets used to the idea that he still gets to come back home to then nice safe place afterwards.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try all of your tips! I am going to boil some chicken for treats and I will try all the tips for outside!! I'm going to try feeding him out there all weekend and I'll go outside and sit in the grass with him!

Thank You!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This puppy man!!

I even tried taking him outside when he was in "play mode" with all his toys and he just looked at me like "so".

It is really a process... Thursday we are going to sit outside while I read a book and Benji can just enjoy it or take a nap! BOL

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does your pup tug on tug toys and retrieve balls or toys you throw for him? If not start teaching him soonest and then when he is really hyped up, throw the toy just outside the door and gradually build up distance until he is happily running outside to fetch. The tug can be used in a similar fashion. When he is tugging strongly gradually pull hi towards a door and then out the door. He must stay tugging all the time. If he lets go , go back inside and start again.

Once he fetches and tugs outside he will learn that being outside can be fun.

·
Registered
404 Posts
clay if you don't have maybe borrow some - kids that is ;) My 13 week old new fur son was also scared to be out side. I held hum in my arms and took him out to the yard (leased) where my grandkids were playing with balls and other fun toys. He sat & watched for a bit and then was gone! He loves the outside now :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will try your suggestions... He does tug... But I live in an apartment building so we'll be tugging for a long time!!!! But I will give that a try... I'm still working on retrieving balls though!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update... My puppy transformed over night... He loves being outside now!!!! He's even using the bathroom outside without hesitation!!

Guess he just needed to get used to the area!

·
Registered
471 Posts
That must've been it then. :) Cali likes being outside a little too much now, she'd probably sleep out there if we'd let her.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My dog is also raw fed & I was hard pressed to find interesting training treats that also fit the diet. I've compromised a bit & bought some Roasted Lung Puffs from Primal, that I cut up into training sized pieces, and also a lamb jerky from Ziwipeak. The Ziwipeak gave Molly diarrhea but that could have been operator error giving her too much. The lung puffs haven't caused any issue so I'm more inclined to use them plus, they're just the one ingredient so I feel better about giving it to her. I've also just cut up liver into training treat size bits & dried them in the fridge on waxed paper. In a few days, they turn into a great treat, too. Kinda like dot candy but liver, LOL.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My highest-value treat for Kenda is small pieces of smoked summer sausage. It's shelf-stable (doesn't need to be refrigerated, at least for short periods) and omg she loves it. It's aromatic enough that she knows when I have a piece out and which hand it's in, which can be helpful. Even my friend's Shiloh Shepherd, who is so laid back we have to check him for a pulse, loves our summer sausage treats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts