Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4-month old mixed breed (could be a pointer shepherd mix) has been having a combination of diarrhea and soft stools for over a few weeks now. The first week he had them, the vet prescribed metronidazole for 10 days and it seemed to work for a few days but the diarrhea came back. They did a fecal exam and it turned up nothing. The second time around they gave him doxycycline and it seemed to have worked for a couple of days but his stool is back to being soft. He’s still taking the medicine and over the last few weeks he has been on probiotics as well. I’m at a loss now. Can’t figure out what the problem is. He’s otherwise pretty active and eats normal.

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Was this a problem at the breeder/shelter? How long after the puppy came to your house did the diarrhea start? Did you change the food? Note that overfeeding a puppy can cause diarrhea or soft stools, or perhaps the food you are feeding doesn't agree with her.

Talk with your vet about it, of course, but if it's not parasites and its not some sort of infection, I would consider seeing if reducing her food intake helps at all, assuming the vet approves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was this a problem at the breeder/shelter? How long after the puppy came to your house did the diarrhea start? Did you change the food? Note that overfeeding a puppy can cause diarrhea or soft stools, or perhaps the food you are feeding doesn't agree with her.

Talk with your vet about it, of course, but if it's not parasites and its not some sort of infection, I would consider seeing if reducing her food intake helps at all, assuming the vet approves.
It started a few weeks after I brought him home from the shelter. When he arrived he had fleas and tapeworm because of the fleas. That was however resolved quickly. And I’ve tried reducing his food, we even changed his food to a vet recommended special diet for sensitive stomach.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
166 Posts
Is he chewing on anything in particular? Have you eliminated treats to see if that has an affect?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts