Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got our Lab puppy, Woody, from the breeder, he was on Purina Puppy Chow. We thought we would switch him over to a supposedly higher quality food, and took two weeks to transition him over. He'd been taking it solely for several days, then yesterday morning woke up with a case of diarrhea. I've attributed it to some chicken that I'd used for treats that may have had some fat on it--although I tried to get it off (I'd forgotten to remove it before boiling.) I withheld food beginning at noon yesterday.

I gave him half an Imodium after a particular watery end of what was in his stomach at three this morning, and then started giving him boiled rice mixed with a bit of canned pumpkin at eight this morning. It's been 6 hours and he's doing okay thus far. Woody is acting alright. Not quite as perky as usual, but not overly lethargic. No fever, no blood. His parasite check a couple weeks ago came back clean. My vet has been out of town, and won't be back until Monday, so management has been my big thing.

Here's my question. In researching this issue, I've found that the food I have him on has mixed reviews. Some folks swear by it, others say it's messing with trouble. Rather than put him back on it, since he will have been off of it completely for several days, what are your opinions about starting him back on another kibble entirely?

I apologize if I should move this over to the food forum--but thought it may be more of a health thing. TIA

·
Registered
693 Posts
puppy chow isnt that greatm what did you switch him to? I wouldnt give imodium.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts