Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the pup last night to a 24 hour vet, as when we got home, he didn't want to eat, and threw up whatever he did eat, and then kept throwing up white foamy stuff.

Took him to the vet and he was tested positive for giardia. They gave him an anti-nausea shot, as well as another shot to kickstart killing it off. He's on two prescriptions, one starts with a P, the other an M. can't remember their names right now.

Today he's doing SO much better. Last night all he wanted to do was sleep, and wouldn't drink any water at all. This morning he didn't want to drink water either, but he was happy to chew on some small bits of ice.

I gave him his meds at 7am, and went home at 12pm to check on him. He hadn't thrown up at all, and he scarfed down lunch like crazy, and started drinking water from his bowl on his own. He was also very playful and happy to play at lunch, instead of being lazy and sleepy.

I have a few questions:

1. How soon after contracting this would symptoms show up? He's been with us for a couple months now, and he just started throwing up out of the blue yesterday.

2. What do we need to do in our house? Should we bleach down his crate? Vacuum the floors?

3. What do we do about his toys? Do we need to clean them somehow? He has quite a few plush toys he loves, but also has several chew toys that are rubber. Do we throw them out for new ones? That would be pretty expensive.

4. What do we do in the backyard? Just make sure to pick up all his poop more so he's not sniffing at it?

5. The doctor told us to give him at least one bath during treatment, and to be sure to wash his butt, so when he licks it it's not getting back in his mouth. Is this correct? Or should I just wash his butt?

Thanks in advance for any help! I can't find any real good information online about this illness.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Giardia is a waterborne parasite, and REALLY hard to detect at first and can come back multiple times even after treatment. As far as your house and items go, keep his food and water dish clean and fresh (where Giardia can start), keep him from drinking from any streams/standing water outside/etc, and give the toys a wash. Clean up ALL poop. No feces-oral contact should be made.

Are the meds MSM and Panacur?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Giardia is a waterborne parasite, and REALLY hard to detect at first and can come back multiple times even after treatment. As far as your house and items go, keep his food and water dish clean and fresh (where Giardia can start), keep him from drinking from any streams/standing water outside/etc, and give the toys a wash. Clean up ALL poop. No feces-oral contact should be made.

Are the meds MSM and Panacur?
One of the meds is Panacur... What does MSM stand for?

Silly question, but how should I go about washing the toys? I know the hard toys I can just wash with some baking soda or something, right? What about the plush toys and ropes? What's the best way to go about cleaning those?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
One of the meds is Panacur... What does MSM stand for?

Silly question, but how should I go about washing the toys? I know the hard toys I can just wash with some baking soda or something, right? What about the plush toys and ropes? What's the best way to go about cleaning those?
MSM is methylsulfonylmethane, but it's a supplement used a lot for combating Giardia.

We wash our toys in the washer with hot water, but without detergent. I've heard people using a bleach and hot water mixture to wash the hard toys, and then rinsing them very well, but I'm not too keen on putting bleach on any of my dogs toys. Maybe someone else has more toy washing ideas.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What about the plush toys and ropes? What's the best way to go about cleaning those?
Put them in the wash and add bleach. You should bleach the hard toys, too. Baking soda is a good scrubber but doesn't kill bacteria or parasites.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TWAB, I looked it up and I believe the "M" medicine to be Metronidazole. I'll double check that when I get home.

I'm also not sure about giving my pup bleach. *maybe* the plush toys going through the washer with an extra rinse cycle or two, but his hard toys? Seems like the bleach could hurt them???

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, you wash them after they're bleached, of course. You can use the baking soda to scrub them after the bleaching process. White vinegar helps to cut the bleach residue.

Bleach is the easiest and safest way to make sure all the bacteria/parasites are killed. Unless you think some of her toys are safe to boil.....that's another option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.