Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9mo old Doberman- German shepherd mix seems to be losing her hair. It started with two small bald spots but now all of her hair seems to be thinning. The hair near her rear end and on her stomach is thin to the point that you can see skin underneath without moving it. I took her to my local vet who gave us a shampoo and omega 3 fatty acid pills but after two weeks the hair loss continues to get worse. The only idea the vet gave was possibly chlorine from our pool had caused it but I would think that after two weeks of being away from the pool we would see improvement. PLEASE HELP! I am a first time pet owner and I am very worried!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Dont panic, whatever it is, I'm sure it's nothing serious. Finding the cause of skin problems in animals is such a headache. I would get a 2nd opinion from a different vet, if I were you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was very itchy in the beginning, the skin doesn't appear red or flakey, the vet did a scratch test and came up with nothing abnormal. The first spot appeared on top of her head then on her neck and rear end. I would post a picture but I am having some trouble posting them. She still is very active and shows no signs of weakness. I had her on innova puppy but am beginning to switch to blue buffalo basics because I'm worried its a food allergy I also heard that grass could be a possible allergy. I'm not an experienced dog owner but I am trying very hard to do all the right things so I am very concerned by this.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
An easy experiment is to switch to a grain free, alternative protein source food, like Taste of the Wild, High Prairie formula.

Then shampoo with Microtek antifungal shampoo every 4 days at first, for 2 weeks, then every week, then every 10 days, then every 3 weeks, then monthly. You can get it online.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Has your vet thought of ring Worm? Skin scrape do not always show the answers....

You also might want to talk to your vet about putting her on Revolution.. one dose now, one does in two weeks and then again in a month.. to see if that helps (after ruling out ringworm.

Of course, do listen to your vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts