Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Obsessive barking back

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and i understand that there is a first time pet/puppy category but i believe my issue is all down to protocol and good training.

SO! we start lol, my dog Mimi(my 2 year old named her lol mimi mouse) is 5-6 months old we got her at 5 months old from a young couple(17) who just got accepted into college so they was unable to look after her, she is a Lab/Newfoundland/ a load of others.

our issue is that although within reason she walks really well and is great with the kids(being a puppy she does still nip a little but its control able) when we tell her off she goes mental, as in barking at us as if she is arguing back, i have arthritis and i'm unable to chase her in order to put her out side or to try and tell her to sit and get control back. other than putting her on a lead and keeping her with me to train her what is and isn't acceptable what can i do? right now i have a lead on her and give corrections as and when is needed but truly our only issue is when she barks and we tell her to stop she then goes crazy and runs around barking in an excited state.

any help/advice would be great.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Re: Obsessive barking back

Bark-talk is not unusual with Lab mixes. I hope you'll get a number of different approaches/opinions on how to handle it.

In the case of my Lab mix, he would give me bark-talk when he had already 'gotten it' and was bored. This was OK for some behaviors, but he had to work through the 'boredom' with Stay training. I don't suggest correction training with Labs, b/c they can misinterpret it as rough play, and Labs LOVE rough play. Corporal punishment to some dogs can be just the beginning of a playful slap on the rump for a Lab.

Instead, when my dog barked, I would purposely turn my head to look away, or even turn my back (while trying to keep an eye on him). Labs love attention - don't we all? And, if you withdraw attention, it seems to provide an adequate correction. FWIW...

·
Registered
422 Posts

Oh I know all about getting back sass, my lab has always done this and still does on occasion but she has gotten much better. Whenever she would back talk I said no and just turned my back on her, or left the room. And when I came back I told her to get a toy and play with her to show her that I will only pay attention to her if she was quiet and good. I recently learned this is how your supposed to fix biting too but thats a different story. Just praise her when she stops barking at you and when she gets a toy. I have also learned that continuing to correct her, you are giving her what she wants, you are arguing with her, also bending over her to tell her no only makes her think you are playing since puppies get down low to play. After you ignore her when she is arguing, she might go to a different person like your kid, have everyone in the house ignore her at once when she acts up, cause in the dog world this is what the pack would do if one of the dogs wasnt behaving. It will take time so dont get frustrated and just focus on the outcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hi, IMHO, I think you and your dog need to be at the same page so you understand each other. Perhaps, Mimi misconstrues your scolding here or reprimanding her as something else. Thus the incessant barking. During the the adjustment period, you just have to show her who is the alpha. I am concerned about the nipping. You have to do something about it at an early stage so it doesn't result to aggression. Here is a good material about it: http://www.howtoteachadog.com/how-to-stop-puppy-biting

·
Registered
61 Posts

So I'm imagining white eyes and twerking/ bunny running. which is her trying to get a game going. She wants to be chased If this is the case just make it boring for her. Don't give attention. don't shout. just ignore till the barking stops then lure here to you and give her a treat for coming or for doing another trick. ignore the bad. encourage the good.
Also i have heard many people saying that teaching your dog the command for barking is great for teaching them to not bark when you don't want them to. I haven't personally considered trying this though because i have a problem with loud noise and teaching my dogs to be mute is a must. i demand silence from a very young age and have been fortunate to never have a puppy or dog to break the rule except on very rare occasions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hi all,

Thnx for the great information, i tried the ignoring and sometimes on occasionally this will work but other times even leaving the room i just get followed lol, talk about teenager strops on bad days i get my autistic boy screaming my 2 year old daughter and the pup(that's when the hair starts falling out of my head), lately and im not sure if im correct or not but lately when she starts barking well just before she kicks off and gets away i put her lead on and tell her to sit or lay down (this stops her straight away) once she is calm and not interested in barking i either reward her with a great or get out her tug toy and play tug/fetch with her. as for the biting she doesn't really bite that much anymore only when she is too excited and even then i correct her by saying ouch or don't bit and she licks instead, we are also getting really close to getting her the sit and wait when ppl come through the front door instead of jumping.

I have been doing some treat training with her, currently can get her to sit/lay-down i can also (with treat in hand lol) get her to roll over, yes i know roll over is a trick but i heard its good for creating bonds and teaching obedience, still can't get her to look into my eyes though it seems to be a hard one for mimi

·
Registered
9,346 Posts

Look at me:
1. Take the dog into a boring room with no distractions, such as the kitchen. Ignore the dog and let her sniff around.
2. Say "Mimi" when she is not looking at you. When she looks at you, Praise and give a tiny treat. Then, Ignore the dog and let her sniff around.
3. Repeat Step #2 for about 10 min. then stop, leaving her interested. Do this for about 3 days.... Dogs need to sleep on it for lessons to sink in.

4. Keep working on Step#2 until you are sure that Mimi will look at you.
5. Next, say Mimi, then show her the treat, which she will look at, in anticipation. Move the treat between your eyes, repeating Mimi.
6. If she looks at the treat, Praise and give the tiny treat.
7. Repeat Steps #5-6 for about 10 min. then stop, leaving her interested. Do this for about 3 days....
8. You'll have to adjust to her looking away - She'll glance at your eyes, then quickly look away, repeat Mimi, and reward quickly when she looks at your eyes.
This will take a little finesse, so that she'll learn that it's OK to stare at your eyes, and that she gets rewarded for doing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Look at me:
1. Take the dog into a boring room with no distractions, such as the kitchen. Ignore the dog and let her sniff around.
2. Say "Mimi" when she is not looking at you. When she looks at you, Praise and give a tiny treat. Then, Ignore the dog and let her sniff around.
3. Repeat Step #2 for about 10 min. then stop, leaving her interested. Do this for about 3 days.... Dogs need to sleep on it for lessons to sink in.

4. Keep working on Step#2 until you are sure that Mimi will look at you.
5. Next, say Mimi, then show her the treat, which she will look at, in anticipation. Move the treat between your eyes, repeating Mimi.
6. If she looks at the treat, Praise and give the tiny treat.
7. Repeat Steps #5-6 for about 10 min. then stop, leaving her interested. Do this for about 3 days....
8. You'll have to adjust to her looking away - She'll glance at your eyes, then quickly look away, repeat Mimi, and reward quickly when she looks at your eyes.
This will take a little finesse, so that she'll learn that it's OK to stare at your eyes, and that she gets rewarded for doing it.
Thank you i'll give it a go :D

·
Registered
221 Posts

Hi, IMHO, I think you and your dog need to be at the same page so you understand each other. Perhaps, Mimi misconstrues your scolding here or reprimanding her as something else. Thus the incessant barking. During the the adjustment period, you just have to show her who is the alpha. I am concerned about the nipping. You have to do something about it at an early stage so it doesn't result to aggression. Here is a good material about it: http://www.howtoteachadog.com/how-to-stop-puppy-biting
Luckily the link wasn't harmful but the whole alpha and aggression nonsense is in the wrong hands. We should be teaching people a two way system of respect, the alpha theory is not only outdated but also encourages people to look down on their dogs as below them. Respect is a two way street.

Play nipping or "biting" as a pup will never lead to aggression, it may lead to a dog who likes to bite in play as an adult which can and probably will hurt but aggression is a mind set, not the act of using their teeth imo. Definietly do some bite inhibition work with pups but worrying new owners with the fear of "aggression" puts a lot of pressure and worry on people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

We have gotten the nipple down now it basically only happens when she is really excited, there is still a long way to go but her weight is up and she seems happy, thank you all for the advice, we are starting clicker training later this week to see if we can progress more but she runs next to us, walks with us, our basic issues are just how to greet other ppl and dogs right now, with her energy lvls so high we just need to work on how she greets :D shouldnt be too much trouble just a lot of practice and repetition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts