Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
it's not an un normal situation. Not sure if the leash restraint is the best approach, if it isn't adding to the excitement and continuing the excitement. For a similar pup that I had, I handed them a chew toy as I came in the door , allowed the pup to run around chomping on they toy, and eventually able to send the pup to hup up on the couch with their chew toy and sit and wait. all the while wiggling and chomping on that toy and still able to follow his job of waiting while I did my getting home routine. Coming in the door, putting my stuff down, taking my coat off. then calling the pup to come sit and be petted only when sitting.

took time of repeat. The toy was a natural so that was easy , jumping on and off the couch in the excitement running around the room chomping on that toy was also already natural so I worked with using that eventually to have him stay on the couch which was standing at first then became a sit. Kept jumping off the couch and I would encourage him to jump back on the couch until he started getting his toy at the door when I walked in, circling the room at first then jumping on the couch and eventually staying on the couch prancing back and forth then eventually over time going through it day after day,, he just sit and wait.

it came in time from doing.. main thing was that he loved getting something in his mouth and running around to burn off the excitement in other ways first before I started to zero in asking for a tighter and tighter behavior from him.

wanted to add he was a Saint Bernard /Berni

1 - 1 of 1 Posts