Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My wife and I recently (two weeks ago) brought home a bernedoodle puppy named Gormley, age of about 9 weeks. I work from home, so I'm with Gormley most of the day. Gormley has been fantastic at learning! We're adopting a positive reinforcement methodology and it's been working well. She already scratches at the door when she has to go potty, sits by verbal and hand cue, and responds to her name whenever she's not super distracted by something.

We've been working on bite inhibition for the last week or so. We tether her leash to an area of open floor with nothing interesting nearby, then go to gently pet and play with her. When she bites too hard or starts tugging on clothes, we yelp or say "ouch" loud enough to startle her a bit, then back off and turn away for 30 seconds or so. Gormley has been doing great at this, too, but only with me. When my wife gets home at night, Gormley goes absolutely crazy. I usually prepare for this by keeping a tight leash on her collar, and I firmly believe that Gormley would strangle herself trying to get to my wife if I didn't intervene. We recently switched to a harness instead of a collar to prevent just such a thing, but she will not relent. When my wife interacts with her, Gormley will incessantly bite and nip at everything on her - feet, clothes, hands, ears, nose, anything and everything.

As I said, Gormley does great when it's just me and her. She's very attentive and eager to follow the rules to earn treats. But when my wife gets home, Gormley doesn't seem to be aware of anything except getting to her and biting whatever she can. She'll no longer respond to her name, won't be tempted by treats (hungry or not), and would gladly strangle herself in an effort to reach her.

My wife has been trying bite inhibition with her as well, but to avail (at least not yet). Granted, we've only had her for two weeks, but it's confusing when Gormley does so well with me, but lose all sense of reason with my wife. It's as if Gormley sees her as a toy, rather than a co-boss

Any ideas on what we could do to solve this, so that we're all happier? Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

Derek

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Tell your wife to stop using bacon-scented bodywash?

I'm no expert, and someone will probably come along with a better idea, but I'd try putting the pup in an exercise pen or crate, or on the other side of a gated-off doorway, when your wife first arrives home, and have her not even acknowledge him until he chills out. Then they can interact through the barrier so he can't chew on her, and only once he's calm for THAT can he more freely interact with her.

Young dogs tend to be overexcitable when they're tired, too - how is he with her in the morning before she leaves for work, as opposed to when she's arriving home in the evening? Morning might be a better time for her to spend a daily few minutes doing a little training or behaviorally appropriate play with him to teach him to interact with her better.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My wife has been trying bite inhibition with her as well, but to avail (at least not yet). Granted, we've only had her for two weeks, but it's confusing when Gormley does so well with me, but lose all sense of reason with my wife. It's as if Gormley sees her as a toy, rather than a co-boss
I'm dealing with a similar issue. My last pup did very well with the "Ouch!" method. This one acts like it's an invitation to bite harder, especially with my son. My new pup can be very sweet and gentle with me especially, as parus suggested, in the morning. . In the morning, she likes to snuggle and her mouthing is gentle as she falls asleep on my lap. If her mouthing turns to biting, I try to redirect her to a chew toy. This has taken many tries. Initially, she was not interested in them but if I hold them for her while she's on my lap, she'll chew them a bit. Other times, she's a little T-Rex, attacking my hands, feet and clothes with her needle teeth and sharp cat claws. My hands are dotted with dozens of scabs where she's nipped me while trying to put on and take off her leash. When my son comes home from work, she's instantly in T-Rex mode. I think she sees him as her personal chew toy.

We've tried something new the last few days which is helping a little bit. I motion her to sit, reward with kibble. Motion a down, reward with kibble, then put three more kibble on the ground and while she's eating I'll clip the leash. We're also trying the loose leash walking tip of walk and treat, walk and treat to lure her to the backyard and back into the house. This keeps her from attacking our legs and feet as often.

Tomorrow, I will pick up some bitter apple spray. I plan to spray the back of my hands to discourage my little land shark from eating me alive.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
it's not an un normal situation. Not sure if the leash restraint is the best approach, if it isn't adding to the excitement and continuing the excitement. For a similar pup that I had, I handed them a chew toy as I came in the door , allowed the pup to run around chomping on they toy, and eventually able to send the pup to hup up on the couch with their chew toy and sit and wait. all the while wiggling and chomping on that toy and still able to follow his job of waiting while I did my getting home routine. Coming in the door, putting my stuff down, taking my coat off. then calling the pup to come sit and be petted only when sitting.

took time of repeat. The toy was a natural so that was easy , jumping on and off the couch in the excitement running around the room chomping on that toy was also already natural so I worked with using that eventually to have him stay on the couch which was standing at first then became a sit. Kept jumping off the couch and I would encourage him to jump back on the couch until he started getting his toy at the door when I walked in, circling the room at first then jumping on the couch and eventually staying on the couch prancing back and forth then eventually over time going through it day after day,, he just sit and wait.

it came in time from doing.. main thing was that he loved getting something in his mouth and running around to burn off the excitement in other ways first before I started to zero in asking for a tighter and tighter behavior from him.

wanted to add he was a Saint Bernard /Berni

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try taking puppy out for some training and play before your wife gets home. Maybe some mental and physical stimulation will help tire puppy out a bit, so he’s not so wound up when she gets home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts