Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks- new to the forum, 1st post!

3 weeks ago we adopted a really nice Lab-Shepherd (Aussie, German...?) mix named Paddy.

He's a doll most of the time, but sometimes he will go berserk either running around and sometimes nipping/biting in the middle of it. It seems like he does this when he is tired, kind of like how a toddler might act when over-tired.

Not sure how to handle it, but it seems like the more physical you get with him like pushing him away etc, the more fun he has, so I don't think I'll keep doing this. I really don't want the biting to get out of control and I don't want to spoil my relationship with him. Thanks!

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas? (He gets TONS of exercise)

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
so funny that you mentioned that you think it happens when he's past that tired threshold (like a toddler).
my pup did it a few times and i really tought that the cause of it was just as you described.
i quickly realized - just you seemed to as well - that if you pushed he'd pull or if you pulled - he'd push.
i noticed he would stop almost immediately if i just walked away.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Its called the Zoomies. I think all dogs get them - especially as puppies. Just enjoy it. I chase Pepper when he has them, and he gets crazier and crazier. I love it when Pepper gets the zoomies because then he passes out for an hour.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Could he be teething? My pup goes absolutely NUTS when his teeth hurt and he will not calm down no matter what until I give him something to soothe the pain. Other than that I would agree with the Zoomies (p.s Love that term) where he just wants to play! Example ... right now ... before bed when he wants to play with the cat *sigh*

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
If you want to stop the behavior, manage it. As soon as it happens, distract the dog with an activity that is incompatible with the one you don't like. In this case, I think I'd put the dog in his crate or a separate room.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We have a 15 w/o puppy who has an hour of INSANITY between like 8 and 9 every night. It's worse when he is overtired. He just becomes a non-stop unmanageable biting machine. He also does during the day sometimes if he's been up too long without a nap. We throw toys for him, take him outside (if it's during the day) to run it off, let him run around the house (instead of being confined to the living room, which is puppy proofed), and try to get him to run it out. If that doesn't work, or he's just too bitey to interact with at all, we give him a rawhide treat to work on, which he does industriously for about an hour. There have been a few occasions where he couldn't be redirected to anything, and we've put him in his pen for 5 minutes or so to cool off, then tried to re-engage him in something when he comes back out again. If it was just running around like a loon we'd let it happen, but at least at this stage, it's the nonstop biting we're trying to curb.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get involved in the fun. I found this behaviour really annoying at first, but after a few days I realized it's much more fun to grab a rope toy and play tug or just roughhouse with them. Good time to teach a bit of bite inhibition too.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
First, pls post pix of your Lab-shep mix ... there are many different flavors :)

What ya'll have perceptively observed is an over-tired puppy... just like a cranky kid. Like Hambonez wrote, it can be very predictable... sometime before bedtime. And, as far as I've heard, it IS called the zoomies (or crazies... but that's rare). Two zooming dogs will interact :)

Anyway, to stop the zoomies (if they are fairly destructive), then anticipate 30 min before it will happen and take the pup for a 10 - 15 min walk to burn off that last bit of energy. Unlike kids who will get wound up with extra exercise, pups will clam down when you burn off that last bit of energy. Yuo can also play fetch or tug, depending on the individual dog. I used to let my dog run around in the backyard... and enjoy the show.

The nipping is a related but different issue, read the sticky: The Bite Stops Here, in the new owner sections... it'll take a few days to begin to work.

Cool weather, rain, snow, and wind can also set off the zoomies. Most of us think it's fun... However, a Lab mix may try to run into you, and a 60 lb dog can take down a 200 lb man. Mine finally stopped when I fell on him, rather than the ground :) ... Neither one of us went crunch or squish, but I think I did hurt his feelings :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Cool weather, rain, snow, and wind can also set off the zoomies. Most of us think it's fun...
Haha yep it's almost a guarantee for Jubel to get the zoomies when we come in after a walk in the rain or after a bath. Thankfully he'll stand still to get dried off first but as soon as I give him the okay he's off. Sprinting back and forth across the living room and sometimes up and down the stairs, often ending in a flying leap into my lap if I just sat at the landing at the bottom of the stairs watching the fun. 50# of flying dog can hurt but he's gotten pretty good at the last second slow before the leap haha.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bella (Lab/GSD mix) still has those energy spurts to this day. Usually right before she has to go poopies....lol She will ZOOM (hence "zoomies") around in a circle so fast she looks like a furry tornado. It took a while when she was a puppy to keep her teeth out of it, though. Essentially as soon as her teeth touched my skin, all playtime was immediately terminated until she calmed down.

Nipping needs to be addressed - the sooner the better, but the zoomies are fun for all (unless someone/something is in the way....)
!

=)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Luke will do that too. It's just pent up energy they have and have to get rid of it. When Luke does it, we just leave him alone till he tires himself out. We call this "psycho puppy". Others have other names for it. I would curb the biting behavior however, say "no" to your dog and let him know that biting you is wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts