Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time dog owner and have had my pup (16 weeks old now) for a month. I have observed that he gets zoomies whenever I or my wife ask him to stop or when he doesn’t want to be on a leash. Is this a sign or aggression or frustration? Or is is just stress that is causing my dog to reach that way?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Zoomies are one way even adult dogs may handle stress, so yes, it's a stress-coping mechanism, although some puppies just get zoomies on schedule, say every evening, and then it's probably just an explosion of pent up energy and exuberance.

This is one vet's take on it : why your dog gets the zoomies

You don't say stopping what behavior causes zoomies, but see if you can come up with something that's not just "stop that," but "do this pleasurable thing instead" (such as playing with a toy). Same with leash. See if you can get puppy to associate it with a good thing - get leash on, get to go outside and have fun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Avatar pic of your pup would be nicer than a human head,
My pups all love doing zoomies, relieves stress & they are relaxed after a good run

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It is normal. Kind of like a toddler flailing about when they don't really know what to do.

Instead of telling your pup to stop what they're doing, teach then to do an opposite, desirable behavior. Chewing on furniture? Redirect to an appropriate toy. Chewing on you? Redirect to a toy (or remove your attention if they do not comply). You can't expect them to magically know what you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts