Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through a few threads and didn't find this exact problem, but I'm very sorry if it's a duplicate! I'm new to this forum.

I have an 8 month old beagle/pointer mix that I've had for 5 months. She is perfect with potty training when we are home, barks by the door to go out, does her business, no accidents while we've been home in months.

But she will still frequently have accidents when I leave, even if it's just for 20 minutes. She doesn't whine or cry when I leave (I've stood outside the door to listen) and she is happy when I get home but doesn't go totally crazy so it doesn't seem to be a separation anxiety issue. She can hold it all night, and she has held it for up to 4 hours while I'm at work.

Anyone have ideas on how to help us?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is she crated when you leave? I know I have read when dogs are given too much freedom at younger ages they sometimes feel like it's ok to do it when you're not around. Crate training will help prevent it because she will not want to pee where she sleeps. Also make sure to take her out right before you leave and as soon as you get home no matter how long you were gone for. That will reassure her you are coming back and she should hold it to get her treats and praise! :D

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You're right, it's probably not separation anxiety; that is a pretty severe disorder, and she doesn't seem to have any of the common problems dogs with SA have. BUT, she may just be generally anxious when you leave, just not to the point that it's a true disorder.

Crating might help. Also, if she's anxious, giving her more exercise might help, in two ways: first, exercise helps relieve anxiety; second, exercise gets the bowels moving, and might help her poop BEFORE you put her in the crate. You might try timing the exercise so that it's just about 10 minutes or so before you have to leave, that way, she can poop outside, and be "empty" for when you put her in the crate.

This really sounds like an anxiety issue, due to not being comfortable being left alone, NOT a housetraining issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts