Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it does exist...in the guise of the oft-brown waters of the Pacific Ocean. (a little long, but you need the backstory) ;)

Took Hershey to dog beach this morning and encouraged her to play in the paw-deep water as the waves came in. (She had fun playing in the tide pools Monday so I thought we'd take the next step.) Well, as she got more courageous she started running in the water parallel to the shore rather than darting out and back. She took a few steps and woosh...small ledge, all water, no more leaping.

SHE WAS SWIMMING!! :D:D

No panic, just looked at me and those little legs started paddling and she ran to me looking like a wet rat (keep forgetting how small she is without fluffy hair.)

Then the "fun" began...O...M...G...she was psycho puppy from that point all the way home and then some. She wanted to play with every dog we met and she was so hyper she was actually intimidating some of the big dogs. She was acting the way I would expect if she actually predicted earthquakes. She probably could have run the 5 miles home if I let her. Keep in mind, she'd been running and playing for 45 minutes before she took a dip in the water!

At home, she waited at the door like she's supposed to and then waited in the entry way for me to remove her leash/collar. She obediently stayed in "wait" until I released her...and then she shot across the room like her tail was on fire. About 10 more minutes of that and now she's finally flopped out of the carpet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fun story; sounds like everyone had a great time!

Question: Do you have to rinse off a dog after it's been in saltwater? Here in the midwest we've only got freshwater lakes so we really don't have to think about it. But I know that after swimming in the ocean I always rinse off (me) in a freshwater shower.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I didn't think about that either until we were walking back to the car. :rolleyes:
She was pretty dry by the time we got home so rather than throw her in the sink or shower I just baby-wiped and brushed her.

I'm going to fill a gallon jug with tap water and keep that in the car for the next time though and just douse her before heading home.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Question: Do you have to rinse off a dog after it's been in saltwater? Here in the midwest we've only got freshwater lakes so we really don't have to think about it. But I know that after swimming in the ocean I always rinse off (me) in a freshwater shower.
My dog swims, almost exclusively, in salt water and I never rinse him off. He rarely needs a bath (he's had 4 in 3 years IIRC). I suspect my living room floor may one day collapse under the weight of all the beach sand the dog brings in, but life is full of risks and some don't even involve fun.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dog swims, almost exclusively, in salt water and I never rinse him off. He rarely needs a bath (he's had 4 in 3 years IIRC). I suspect my living room floor may one day collapse under the weight of all the beach sand the dog brings in, but life is full of risks and some don't even involve fun.
LOL - That's my other motivation to pour some fresh water on her next...a wet dog gathers more sand. (Sounds like it should be a Chinese proverb, eh?) She brought home a lot more sand than usual yesterday!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Fun story. Would love to see some pics of the next trip to the beach.

We didn't rinse/bathe our dog after trips to the ocean, either. Just brisk toweling & quick brushing. If she got tar on her I would clean it off with baby oil & then use baby wipes to clean up the rest of the mess.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to take my cheap P&S camera tomorrow so maybe I can get some 30-second video. Hershey doesn't do still photography well...too much brown, her features just get lost into a brown puddle.

Any problem with dry skin by not rinsing? Her skin has gotten pretty dry with the onset of summer so I'm worried about adding to it.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You know, now that you mention it, her skin could get a little flaky between baths. Maybe the salt water was drying. I never thought of that. We've moved away from the ocean and it's not flaky any more. Might be worth asking a groomer or the vet next time you're in if you're concerned about it. I can tell you that our dog never seemed bothered by it. She did get to play in a fresh water pool at least once if not several times a week, too, so maybe that kept the irritation from the salt to a minimum? Now you've got me thinking....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts