Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize I will probably get a zillion different answers to this, but what is the best puppy food out there? We have been giving our 6-month-old Puppy Chow because that was what he was getting at his foster home before we adopted him, but I've been hearing some not-so-good things about Puppy Chow. I really would like to find something that is good for his tummy but not too expensive.
Thanks!
Stacey

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The better foods are mostly meats compared to the cheaper ones that are cereals and grains. When you look at the top 4 ingredients listed on the package, 3 of the 4 listed items should be meat. Stay away from corn/wheat, etc. as the 4th ingredient.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I realize I will probably get a zillion different answers to this, but what is the best puppy food out there? We have been giving our 6-month-old Puppy Chow because that was what he was getting at his foster home before we adopted him, but I've been hearing some not-so-good things about Puppy Chow. I really would like to find something that is good for his tummy but not too expensive.
Thanks!
Stacey
I feed my 6 month old pug Iams puppy. Eukanuba is supposed to be very good too.

Make sure when you change his food you do it gradually just adding a bit at a time to his old stuff.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I feed my puppies either ProPlan for Small Breeds (Puppy) or Eukanuba puppy food. I've occasionally used the blue bag Purina Puppy food and have not experienced any problems with it. Not every dog does well on every food, though, so you have to find one that is good for your dog. One question, though: are you changing foods based on what you've heard about the food or based on what you've seen in terms of your dog's condition?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I tried several of the premium foods on my puppy because I was told they were better than puppy chow (TOTW, Chicken Soup, Calif. Nat.). She had diareah or could not keep them down. Tried puppy chow and all our problems were solved.

Puppy chow isnt as bad as people would have you believe. Champion dogs have been raised on it for generations. Many puppies thrive (yes thrive) on it every year. Now that my puppy is one I have switched to Purina Proplan. I will stay with Purina. My dog has lots of energy, lively eyes, a beautiful coat and a great disposition. Several people here use Proplan too.

Dont change just because someone has told you your puppy food isnt as good as others if you are satisfied with the results you already have. Good luck whatever you do! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I feed my pup Royal Canin GSD puppy dry food. The breeder recommended it and they sponsor the state GSD society. Eukanuba is supposedly very good too. I'd never feed my dog non-premium food though (not pretentious or anything, even if I was poor, my dog eats before I do).

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I always kept my puppies on a good, all life stages food. From day one to they get old. They've always done really well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

He likes the Puppy Chow well enough, but he occasionally has loose stools and I've heard Puppy Chow can cause that sometimes. He has lots of energy and is happy and playful, and checked out fine at the vet, so I thought I would try gradually changing his food to see if that would help.

What about Science Diet? That's what my vet's office recommends, but it is kind of expensive.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Science Diet, like Puppy Chow, has a LOT of grain, and not much meat.

If you want an inexpensive food, look at Costco's Kirkland and Diamond Naturals. I *love* these foods, and they're very reasonable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts