Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on what a puppy should be eating?

Our 14 week old will ONLY eat Purina Puppy Chow- we've tried all the organics and all naturals and even something in between like Science Diet. She got a hold of a friends puppys food- the puppy chow- and cant get enough.

We dont want her eating it but it seems to be that or a hunger strike. Any thoughts on how bad Purina Puppy Chow really is and possibly some other options?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Can't say much from personal experience, but I do know that a lot of the people on this forum won't be caught dead feeding their dogs eat Purina, Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, etc... (definite overexaggeration there)

I personally plan to be feeding either Orijen Large Breed Puppy, Innova Evo, or the raw diet, with much more research.

What was your puppy's reaction when you tried to feed her another brand? What was she fed before you took her home with you?

Purina isn't toxic waste or anything! Simply poor quality food. If you really want a breakdown of dog food, though, go to dogfoodanalysis.com Great info there.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Purina isn't good quality food but just like us dogs often like junk food better than healthy. You have to be like a parent and just say no and be willing to put up with a few days of puppy rebellion if YOU want the pup to eat something else.

Get the food you want to feed. Put it in the dish. Put the dish down for 20 minutes. Pick the dish up after 20 minutes, finished or not. At the next meal, put the same food down (be sure you refrigerate if you feed any soft food). You can add just enough to equal one meal's worth of food but no more than that. Do not offer the food between meals and no between meal treats. Repeat until puppy decides to eat what she's served. And don't give in. Puppy will not starve herself.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Personally, I'd let the puppy stay on Puppy Chow.

It is not a bad food. There are better, but many dogs thrive on it. (See Urban Beagles' pups as an example...and she's fed every type of food there is)

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is a total personal opinion as to what the best food is. All of those foods are on the market to fill a niche. They all feed well, you'll just have some differences between how much you feed, how much you pay, and HOW well it feeds for your dog.

Now I personally would feel more comfortable with feeding my dog purina puppy chow than I would feeding my large breed puppy the large breed puppy Orijen, the Innova evo, or raw.

We know for a fact that these foods (Hi fat, high protein, low carb - also inappropriate calcium : phosphorus ratio in the two kibbles I mentioned) tend to hold your dogs hand in pushing them over the edge for growth related problems (displaysia, OCD etc)

Innova evo was on the shelf for 8 months (this is a few years ago, when it was first out) and then they sent all of us dealers / retailers a nice little e-mail "Whoopsie, don't feed it to large breed puppies under the age of 18 months."

Orijen makes a large breed puppy food. I wouldn't feed it. They also make a senior food - tell someone whose been traditionally trained that those levels of ash, magnesium and phosphorus won't affect your senior dog renally...

The problem is that while purina isn't the best brand, I would put it comparable to Iams, Science diet and Nutro. The pro-plan purina is a bit of a step up, and comparable to Eukanuba, and Royal Canin. You're not kiling your dog. The idea of offering a holistic brand of dog food over a traditional is the quality control of the ingredients being purchased to put into the food - a holistic brand won't buy rendered products...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have fed several other premium foods thinking I had to feed a "high quality" food to my puppies or I wouldnt be a good puppy parent. When it came down to it I settled on Purina Puppy Chow. My dogs are healthy on it. They have good coats, shiney and full and they have only been to the vet for their shots. They enjoy their food. Their poo's are smaller too which is an extra added bonus. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
mine started off on purina puppy chow too, i think she liked the shapes of them, lol. afterward she ate purina pro plan and also did very well on that. when moving to an adult food i let her eat wellness. i still buy her the purina pro plan biscuits as snacks for her because she really likes them. shes done great on all of these though.

my next dog i will probably just go with pro plan - its more available since you can get it in petsmart (wellness is only sold around here in a local feed shop).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thats all VERY helpful. We've been anxious all week about the puppy chow but its good to know that other people have had success feeding their dogs this product. She had been eating Science Diet when we brought her home from the shelter and we wanted to get her onto something better so we switched to Blue Buffalo. Truth is I want her eating the highest qaulity food and will try the pro plan and see if she likes it.

Why did you decide to switch to Wellness?

Meghan&Pedro, you seem to know a LOT about dog nutrition- I've been trying to learn but still dont feel well equiped to make the right decision confidently. If you had to pick a puppy food for a large breed dog what would you pick? Would you stick with the adult version later in life?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thats all VERY helpful. We've been anxious all week about the puppy chow but its good to know that other people have had success feeding their dogs this product. She had been eating Science Diet when we brought her home from the shelter and we wanted to get her onto something better so we switched to Blue Buffalo. Truth is I want her eating the highest qaulity food and will try the pro plan and see if she likes it.

Why did you decide to switch to Wellness?

Meghan&Pedro, you seem to know a LOT about dog nutrition- I've been trying to learn but still dont feel well equiped to make the right decision confidently. If you had to pick a puppy food for a large breed dog what would you pick? Would you stick with the adult version later in life?
Why do you think puppy chow is a bad food? There are many show breeders who have their dogs on Purina products.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do you think puppy chow is a bad food? There are many show breeders who have their dogs on Purina products.
I guess I've just been told that the high grain content and low protein- and that the protein is a lot of byproducts- makes it a low quality food. I've been told the all natural, people quality food is what I need to get her.

Honestly, if she wasn't as active as she is I would be less concerned. She goes to work with my boyfriend everyday and runs and plays out in the open (golf course) until she drops. She isn't just laying around sleeping and growing all day. I want to make sure what we put into her body will nourish her and keep her healthy.

And shes our first puppy so maybe a little crazy =)

·
Registered
233 Posts
well my dog is only 2 and a half years old and when i got her was when the whole dog food fiasco was going on so i freaked out and thats the reason for changing foods mainly. i went online and of course read lots of reviews and recommendations. honestly there are good and bad reviews for almost every dog food out there.

i had one bag of puppy chow and i decided to try something a little better so i went to petsmart and ended up choosing pro plan puppy. then i joined some newsletters and groups about lhasa apsos and seeing that many of them used wellness, i decided to try that when going to adult food and she did wel on it so thats what i feed now.

this is also my first dog so i know what you mean - i was really crazy about all this too in the beginning lol. dont be alarmed if your dog doesnt like what you think is a better food - i gave mine samples of lots of different ones and some of them she wouldnt even sniff for a second time. some of them gave her very runny poop. so i would just try to choose something that you feel is a good food , thats available, and that your dog does good on.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I guess I've just been told that the high grain content and low protein- and that the protein is a lot of byproducts- makes it a low quality food. I've been told the all natural, people quality food is what I need to get her.

Honestly, if she wasn't as active as she is I would be less concerned. She goes to work with my boyfriend everyday and runs and plays out in the open (golf course) until she drops. She isn't just laying around sleeping and growing all day. I want to make sure what we put into her body will nourish her and keep her healthy.

And shes our first puppy so maybe a little crazy =)
If she has that much energy, she seems to be doing fine with her food then. Don't let all the hype about these unproven foods get to you. None have ever been scientifically proven to be better than supposedly lower quality foods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts