Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I picked up two puppies, they are lab and pitbull mix. They were eating purina canned puppy food for the person I got them from but they weren't eating it for me so I got the next closest thing which is purina puppy chow. They ate that very well, I mix it with water to soften it. I would like to feed them something that is better for them but I'm not sure what to get. I am a college student so I would like to get something that isn't going to break the bank.

Thanks for any help,
Jarred

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
One brand that's better than most but not very expensive is Diamond Naturals (not regular Diamond, just the Naturals line). If you have a Tractor Supply Co near you, they always have it. If not, run the store locator on Diamond's website to find a dealer in your area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have noticed something when feeding these puppies. When we got them the brindle pup was the bigger of the two. Now the brindle pup is eating much less and the other pup is eating the majority of their food. The brindle pup is starting to look a little skinny. We try to feed them in different cages but brindle pup won't eat, she just whines. Then when I put them together the brindle will eat but she gets pushed aside by the larger other pup now.

They are both playing normally and are active when they are out of the cage.

My question is how can I get the brindle pup to eat more; how can I get them to eat in different cages (they will not be staying together all their life, the brindle will be coming to my house in two weeks after she gets her first set of shots because we currently have two older dogs here and don't want the pup to get sick); and how do I know if the brindle pup is getting enough food?

Thanks in advance,
Jarred

·
Registered
400 Posts
Some find that litter mates have that problem. They depend on each other too much and are used to being together. Is separate them more to get them used to being apart. They have to learn independence. And don't let them see each other while eating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the last three weeks I have been feeding Diamond naturals lamb and rice large breed puppy food. One of my vet tech friends said the food is crap and it has been killing dogs. I was wondering what others thought?

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Lol, some people feel very strongly against Diamond products either because they're misinformed or they're the type that cares. I'm inclined to think your friend is misinformed.

Diamond, (the company that makes diamond, 4health, TotW, etc) has always kind of had an iffy sanitation record. They had an recall a long time ago for some toxin I think and recently had another recall for salmonella in April this year. IIRC both recalls are from the South Carolina plant. When the FDA went to check on the plant for the recent recall, there was also various sanitary practices that were not met, like not providing workers a place to wash their hands, food particles on equipment, etc.

The recent salmonella recall has of course rebooted the dislike of Diamond products. To be honest though, for all the raw feeders that claim salmonella isn't an issue for dogs, it's kind of ironic to hate on Diamond products over salmonella. The recall that was longer ago was for a more serious toxin iirc but it was something like 7-8 years ago and was only for the lower quality diamond products I believe.

I'm sure if you read around, you'll see plenty of people advocate and feed 4health, Kirkland, TotW, Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup, all of which are made by Diamond but also very good foods for the price. People have fed wellness, canidae, solid gold, all before the recent recall when those brands stopped sourcing formulas to the Diamond plant for obvious publicity reasons. I'm in college too and TotW was the primary kibble I'd buy though I've now switched to raw.

So it's really a personal choice for you. Diamond makes pretty much all of the common good cost efficient foods.

I think the TotW around where I live are not from the SC plant anyways so I've never cared much about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts