Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is a good age to swtich?

I have a 1 year-2 month old labrador retriever. She weighs around 60 lbs. She has, obviously, been on puppy chow.

The bag says you can go up to 2 years on the puppy chow...but I was just wondering if I should switch over sooner?

Just want to do what's healthy :) We are getting a puppy in March, so we will still have lots of puppy chow around. It might be tricky, but I can keep them from eating out of each other's bowls, lol.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The average age for switching is about 1 year but, can vary by breed size. She has reached her mature weight now at 60 pounds (according to breed average) but, your vet is a better judge of the ideal weight for her bone structure and muscle tone.
At this stage you could switch to insure that she doesn't start packing on the pounds as puppy food is higher in calories and the essential ingredients for growth.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When is a good age to swtich?

I have a 1 year-2 month old labrador retriever. She weighs around 60 lbs. She has, obviously, been on puppy chow.

The bag says you can go up to 2 years on the puppy chow...but I was just wondering if I should switch over sooner?

Just want to do what's healthy :) We are getting a puppy in March, so we will still have lots of puppy chow around. It might be tricky, but I can keep them from eating out of each other's bowls, lol.

Thanks!!
Your Labrador is now older enough to change over from puppy food to adult. Do this slowly over a week. reducing the puppy food daily. This to help stopping your Puppy getting upset tummy with the change over.

I would advice feeding your puppy away from your older Labrador, so you know your puppy getting the right amount of food. You could of started to change over from Puppy food from around 7 months in the Uk complete dry food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts