Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when should i start changing puppy food to dog food ? i know i have to mix them befor i totallychange over to dog food.but i just dont know when to start

·
Registered
511 Posts
I always waited until they were a year old but the vet said that small dogs can be transitioned at 6 months. A larger dog will need pupy food longer. You can always just feed an ALS (all life stage) that can be fed to puppies and dogs.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I always waited until they were a year old but the vet said that small dogs can be transitioned at 6 months. A larger dog will need pupy food longer...
Actually, just the opposite. You want to get a large dog off of puppy food much sooner than you would a smaller dog. Puppy food promotes unbalanced growth in larger dogs.

For a large dog, you want to think about transitioning over to an adult or an ALS type of diet at about six months or so. If your pup is still very young, you can transition to one of the new large-breed puppy foods first if you are not using it already, then go to an adult or ALS diet at about six months. But if your pup is already close to six months old and still on a regular puppy diet, I wouldn't bother with that.

For a small to mid-size dog, you can transition anywhere from ten to twelve months old. Maybe a bit sooner if you are going to an ALS type diet. But the transition is much less critical with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts