Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when to start weaning Dallas off of her puppy and move to adult food? She is now 10 1/2 months old. Do I wait untill she is a year old or start the transition now?

·
Banned
92 Posts
There's not a lot of difference from puppy to adult food. Puppy may have a couple of % more protein than adult but then again you can find adult food with the same amount of protein. You'll find many brands have "life stages" food which covers pups to adults.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Depends on Size of the breed I personally think. Johnnie who is about 45lbs she's a Beagle/Lab Mix we had her on ASL (All Life Stages) for short time & then put her on all PUPPY FOOD. At age of 9-10 months old we had her on adults food

It's really depends on the breed/size of the dog. What breed is your dog? This is what I found; (Also remember theirs always "All Life Stages")

When to Switch
Your puppy's transition to adult food should begin when he approaches adult height. His breed type will also help determine when to switch. Small-breed dogs tend to mature physically much sooner than large-breed dogs. Follow these guidelines to help you decide when to switch formulas:

• Small-breed dogs that weigh 20 pounds or less when fully grown are usually ready to eat adult food at 9 to 12 months of age.
  • Medium-breed dogs that will weigh between 20 and 50 pounds as adults normally mature at 12 to 14 months of age.
  • Large and giant breed dogs, those weighing more than 50 pounds when fully grown, might not be ready to switch to an adult food until they're 12 to 24 months old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts