Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my 12 week old rednose pitbull nutro ultra for about a month. She is starting not to enjoy eating it seems. I have to mix chicken or meat with her food and she will eat it all up. Anyways i was reading that nutro ultra contained beet pulp which is apparently pretty bad for dogs? I want to feed my puppy http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dogs/wilderness.shtml . My question is; Can I feed her this? Can puppies eat food not specifcally made for them? If its bad to feed puppies adult dog food, why? Thank you

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
IF the food states that it's for all life stages then it should be fine. But most of the foods I've seen that have that high a protein percentage say that they should be fed to adult dogs only. Perhaps a product that has a lower protein percentage would be better to start out with. I don't know why high protein foods like this often say to feed to adults only since those pups that are fed raw diets are getting a great deal of protein even those that are on barf rather than prey model diets. Anyone?

But you definitely do not have to feed just puppy foods to puppies. Puppy foods are a fairly recent dog food industry invention.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It should be okay, since your dog isn't a large breed. I consider pits medium breed. Feeding large breed puppies high protein food is bad, because it makes them grow faster than they need to. I would def. switch foods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts