Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so before last week I had two dogs. A 4 year old pit bull female named Roxy (trained by yours truly). She is very well tempered and patient, can go anywhere without a lease follows my side and listens very will. Then we have my boyfriends American bulldog mix who is 3 years old I believe and he is moderately trained. He was trained at an obedience school so he responds very well when wearing a shock collar. He responds in most cases when not, but is a little more difficult to handle. Kirk has been living with me and Roxy for about 5 months and his responses are clearly becoming better (maybe because of Roxy) so my boyfriend decided no more shock collar. Kirk is definitely the dominant dog but him and Roxy get along great. Mainly because of Roxy patience. no matter how often kirk is humping she just walks away or sits down. I have always been the dominant to Roxy so she as never been aggressive in that way.

Well last week while in MS i was at a flea market and saw these puppies rolling around in their own soils and couldn't live with myself unless i rescued at least one. Would have loved to take them all but that's not exactly an option. Anyways, he is a 9 week old Beagle Labrador mix named Thor. We call him Thor the beagledor. I got home from MS on Sunday and so far his training has been going great. I am crate training him (of course as the crate being his safety place) and he has only had one accident inside so far. He knows his name very well and knows how to come when its called. Him and Roxy are like two peas in a pod they get along great and I am pretty happy with this from a 9 week old puppy. On Wednesday night we decided to bring Kirk over (he was staying with a friend while we were on vacation) Kirk of course was very interested. Apparently he has never seen a puppy before. Well Kirk got in Thor's face, Thor obviously felt intimidated and snarled a little and Kirk put Thor's whole head in his mouth. Minor damage was done. A small incision on the ear but it was enough to traumatize Thor to the point where when Roxy went up to him to find out why he was crying he started snarling at her. Fine, understandable. That night i make sure him and Roxy are getting along again and keep him and Kirk separated as much as possible because now kirk is really in Thor's face. Like he is instigating it. This is how it was night Thursday. Kirk in Thor's face, Thor snarl, mommy or daddy jump up and its over. All friggen night long. Friday after work we are getting ready to go out for a date and they seem to be okay. Kirk is still following Thor around but instead of Thor turning around and snarling he is running away. He only snarled once and that was when he was by me, which I know is because I am mommy and i will protect so he feels safe behaving like a badass around me because i will save him. Once i realized this i started to avoid Thor being near me. If he came and sat at my feet I walked away etc. All three of them sleep on the bed with us. Thor on top of my head roxy at my side and kirk next to James or between James and I. No incidents all night long.

Okay so all of that leads to this morning. James gets up at 7 am to get ready for work. Dogs are all getting along. No snarling, no fighting Thor is even letting kirk sniff his head. James leaves at 8:20 am so i start pulling myself out of bed to walk all of them. I had no sooner put on some sweat pants when i heard yelping and screaming and crying. Thor went running right past me and under my bed on my way out to see Kirk. As i walk back in the bedroom to make sure Thor is okay i see a trail of blood. Kirk put a nice slice in Thor's head above his eye. Thor is okay, but had i not ran out yelling hey hey hey the damage could have been fatal.

I am at a loss on how to make Kirk be nice and understand its just a puppy who means no harm. Kirk is dominant. Fine. I get it. My original solution was muzzle kirk so kirk realizes that Thor cannot cause any damage. Haven't had an opportunity to pick up the muzzle yet and I am afraid Kirk will associate the muzzle with the puppy only making him despise Thor that much more. This morning James said he wants kirk to go stay with friends. I know this would be far less stressful on me him and all three dogs I fear that in the long run it isnt going to help at all, possibly make it worse like Kirk will blame the missing his daddy and become further jealous of the puppy. I feel like no matter how big Thor gets kirk will react the same way. Please does anyone have any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You are going to ruin your puppy if you keep letting him be attacked. Stop letting Thor injure him.

Thor isn't likely to change. Keep them apart. One can be out while the other is crated. Crate and rotate.

The muzzle is a bad plan. They come off. They are too restrictive. And having a muzzle on Thor isn't going to make Kirk feel safe.

Not all dogs get along.

Please protect Kirk before you totally ruin his dog skills. What he has already gone through might have scarred a nervous/soft dog for life.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
You're not just going to ruin the puppy; you are possibly going to get him killed. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but you need to realize that this is very serious. Kirk is not being "dominant;" he is being a bully. Well-adjusted adult dogs do not bully puppies -- most dogs grant puppies a "puppy licence" and let them get away with all kinds of annoying behavior that they would never accept from an adult dog. Kirk has absolutely no tolerance for 9-week-old puppy Thor now, and it is only going to get worse as Thor ages. I would advise you to rehome Thor now, or prepare to "crate and rotate" (keep Thor and Kirk separate) forever. It IS that serious.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ditto. Kirk sounds like he has some issues with puppies, so why risk another attack? All you're going to get is a pup that then also has issues with other dogs and learns to be a jerk/bully. Either make plans to keep the two seeparated unless you are RIGHT there supervising, or rehome the puppy now.

As said most dogs will put up with a lot from a puppy before they correct them to that extreme, so take the hint and don't let them interact again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts