Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need opinions/ help[/B][/B] with smtg.....so our puppy (mixed chihuahua/daschund/pit bull) is about 4 months give or take and we've had her since the day after Christmas and until now has been very sweet and loveable and very tolerant and docile with my kids and visitors. in the last week or so she has suddenly shown this fear/aggression thing and bit my husband for trying to take away a paper towel with mashed potatoes on it that she was chewing on...she has started barking and hiding under the table when people come over..than last night she was acting all skittish and bit my cousin in the face and peed on him and in the floor when she did it and he had been holding her and petting her for 5or 10mins and this morning he tried to take her out and make nice and she was all skittish again and bit him on the leg...none of these bites drew blood... i've never seen or dealt with a puppy so young who is suddenly starting to act so skittish , tail tucked and all, then acting aggressive because of it......I don't know how to deal with that and if I can't fix that asap, I can't keep her and run the risk of her biting on of the kids friends or anyone....and I know no one will take her acting like this...SO ANY HELP OR OPINIONS TO FIX THIS ASAP WILL GREATLY APPRECIATED .. if I can fix this problem now I'm up for bit as opposed to getting rid of her

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
fear/aggression thing and bit my husband for trying to take away a paper towel with mashed potatoes on it that she was chewing on.
That is called resource guarding. She didn't want him to take her delicious prize, so she bit him to keep it. It's normal dog behavior and quite trainable. I think we have a sticky in this forum about resource guarding. If not, the book Mine! is fantastic on the subject.

than last night she was acting all skittish and bit my cousin in the face and peed on him and in the floor when she did it and he had been holding her and petting her for 5or 10mins
First of all, when a dog is acting skittish, leave it alone. Don't pick it up, hold it, pet it and put your face right by its teeth. She was giving clear signs she didn't like the interaction, so when the interaction continued, she made it stop by biting. You need to short circuit this by stopping the interaction when she first starts giving signs she's uncomfortable.

Does she growl at all? Has she ever? How do you respond when you do? How are you training her?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree with Amaryllis. I wonder myself, when people know a dog is skittish or upset, how do they even let it NEAR their face to get bit in the face?
You've had her about 6 weeks? And she hasn't been skittish the whole time? Has anything about her situation changed? Her routine? If not, it might be a good idea to get a vet check, sometimes a change in behavior is due to a health problem that can be fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts