Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new puppy comes home next week, she'll be about 9 weeks old. I've seen some awesome puppy-pen setups that breeders have with all sorts of toys and textures and things for very young puppies to play with and get used to... would something like that be beneficial to a 2-3 month old puppy? I'm wondering if I should gather up some things to set up in her x-pen or room where she'll be when I have to go to work.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
A varied, enriched set-up would probably be good for a 2-3 month old puppy to spend time in, but I'd be worried about leaving a puppy with materials that he could potentially destroy and eat. If you're getting a toy/small breed it might not be as much of a concern.... depending on the puppy.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
While you were gone at work, I don't think I would leave those types of materials in the pen with the pup. I think some nice hard-to-destroy toys would be good enough while you are away, and then perhaps some other less durable materials while you are able to frequently check on the puppy.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps I should specify, it's a Chihuahua puppy, there's probably not much that she can destroy.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't quite agree with what I read here. Everything that I've read elsewhere suggests using just 2 or 3 toys at a time, and then rotating them with other toys. Since most of my personal experience is with large dogs that are strong chewers, I can't offer appropriate suggestions - b/c I use a hard rubber bone [that takes longer to destroy], a stuffed Kong [that should be appropriate for All dogs when sized and stuffed for the chewer?], and a soft toy that can be chewed [or easily removed before badly destroyed and potentially swallowed].

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I have found that puppies (even my Dutchie!) are not that destructive with toys before their adult teeth start coming in. Then all bets are off ;)
Baby puppies just don't have the teeth, jaw strength, or attention span to destroy anything but the flimsiest things (think potty pads). That said, it's always good to observe and get to know your puppy. I think an enrichment setup is awesome! I would just take out items of concern if you're not supervising.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts