Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 mo old make Pomeranian who will not stop eating everything he can get in his mouth. He has been taken to emergency vet 4 times and I have induced vomiting here at home 3 times. Before you say I am not watching him this is not true. I have also gone around the house dogproofing things as well. He goes out in the back yard on a long leash but still manages to grab something and swallow before I can grab it out! I have had to install locks on the pantry doors as he opens them and gets stuff out to eat. He is played with all day he has millions of toys and I’m retired so he isn’t eating stuff out of neglect. Any suggestions. Im
Thinking of getting a muzzle for jim
But that seems cruel. He will not drop these things on command either. He is extremely willful and a light tap on his rear to make him stop meets with him
Buying my feet in anger.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Welcome to puppyhood. Some of them are more determined than others, but all puppies explore the world with their mouths.

One good thing to do is train him to trade and/or drop things. There are several videos on the Kikopup YouTube channel that can help.

This on is on training dropping an object.

This one uses a chew stick.

This is a longer tutorial on teaching to drop something.

Muzzle training is something that is a good idea, regardless. The Muzzle Up! Project has a lot of resources, including training tutorials. The Muzzle Up! Project | Muzzle advocacy, Education, and Training

Also, stop hitting him, no matter how lightly. Especially since you already know that he has such an extreme reaction to it. It could lead to him eventually snapping and biting whenever he sees a hand coming at him for any reason.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts