Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice regarding our 13 week old Wheaten. She came to us at 8 weeks eating Diamond Puppy food, to which I started mixing just a tablespoon of Fresh Pet Puppy, for each of her 3 meals. She started to lose interest in it and I slowly have switched to 4Health Puppy kibble mixed with a tablespoon of 4Heath semi-moist. She eats this very well but I've started to wonder about the amount I'm giving her. She was consuming about 1.5 cups split into 3 meals per day, and she appeared satisfied. Taking a closer look at the bag, for her weight (12lbs) and age, they suggest 2.5-3 cups per day! Should I worry about this?

This is our first puppy, so naturally we are always concerned that we could be doing something better for her. Her overall health is good and she has lots of energy. Should I do something differently regarding her food consumption?

Btw, I've found so much good info on this board, so I'm grateful for the help!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You want to feed her the recommended amount for her predicted adult weight - not her current weight.

Also, take the recommendations with a grain of salt. They are a good starting point, but keeping track of her condition regularly and adjusting food as needed is the best way to go. With a growing puppy, you want them on the leaner side. You aren't going to see a Wheaten's ribs most likely, but you want to be able to easily feel them (ie, no poking around for them).

If her weight is good on the current amount you feed her, then I wouldn't worry too much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts