Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a 6 weeks old female German Shepherd / Husky mix puppy. We adopted her 5 days ago, and already had our first visit at the vet for check up. She’s 6,5 lbs (probably 7 now haha), and vitals (heart, lungs, temperature) are all good.

I know she’s too young to be adopted, but she was rejected by her mom so this is why we’re taking care of her. I’m weaning her off of milk, so currently using milk powder blended with puppy kibble.

So here is the thing, I’m noticing that she is drinking more than my other dog (who’s currently 2 yo) when he was a puppy. She’s subsequently peeing more too. Now I’ve read about polydispsia, but it is very unclear to me what is considered “excessive” drinking.

Can someone please help me? I don’t know if it’s normal for puppies to drink a lot (and pee a lot). My first dog was 3 months old when we adopted him, maybe that’s why he was drinking less (and peeing less).

Is it because it’s summer (even though I have the AC on all day) or she’s playing with my other dog thus spending energy?

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
Is your pup getting dry kibble? I have an adult lab/weim mix who eats kibble and drinks a minimum of a gallon of water each day - all year 'round. For a short time, she was getting prescription canned food and drank very little.

I had a gigantic black lab many years ago who drank so much water that I had him tested for diabetes. Turns out he was just a thirsty boy and remained that way for all of his 14 years.

If you're truly concerned (and nobody here can really tell you whether you should be) you need to discuss this with your vet. It probably wouldn't require a visit - a phone call should do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is indeed getting dry kibble. I started looking things up online and you know how it goes... paranoia haha. I also have to remember she’s very young so I’ll keep an eye on this and eventually if it doesn’t control itself I’ll talk to my vet about it. Thanks for your reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts