Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So im just curious....how this Puppy&Dog Forums got started? When was it set up?Who set it up? Was it just one person involved or several? Are all the questions first directed to several specific people and they decide wether to keep them posted or not? Or does someone just randomly check it periodically to make sure no one breaks the rules?....

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
I don't know where it came from. It is privately-owned, but I don't know the owner(s.) I don't know if they have dogs.

The posts are not pre-screened. The moderators read and participate as we are able but, often, spammers, trolls and rule-breakers are reported by conscientious members using this little icon at the lower left of the offending post.

It is not snitching. It is keeping the forum safe for the women and children and sensitive old men like me.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
so who determines who becomes moderator?

There are paid professional administrators who make that decision. Potential moderators are typically nominated by existing ones. If someone displays enough common-sense to be a moderator, but not enough common sense to understand what a pain it is to moderate, they might be nominated. The final decision belongs to the administrators who, I imagine, have frequent discussions like, "What were we THINKING?"

It is not normally productive to nominate yourself to be a moderator. Anyone who would actually volunteer for the job clearly has a screw loose and would be too unstable.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Mostly it works like a well-oiled clock, though it sometimes develops some squeaks.

I've been involved in forums, and moderating them, for about eight years. I understand the dynamics, the flow of discussion and the affects of personalities.

But I don't try to understand the mechanics or the administrative aspects of the forum. I think that might be like seeing sausage being made and diminish the enjoyment.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
There are paid professional administrators who make that decision. Potential moderators are typically nominated by existing ones. If someone displays enough common-sense to be a moderator, but not enough common sense to understand what a pain it is to moderate, they might be nominated. The final decision belongs to the administrators who, I imagine, have frequent discussions like, "What were we THINKING?"

It is not normally productive to nominate yourself to be a moderator. Anyone who would actually volunteer for the job clearly has a screw loose and would be too unstable.
LOL, funny, I did volunteer during a particularly NASTY troll incursion, of course I had KNEW what it was like to be a moderator as I was already moderating two other sites. Trust me, most people would think we were insane to take what we do on a voluntary basis.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
There were a few openings back in 2006, and people had to apply privately to Dave (back when Dave was the owner). That's when I applied.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Cheetah, I think you and Curb were the original crew, from what I see of the posts, the site started in mid 2006.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I think we kinda were. I think Dave had some sort of falling out with the one mod he had assigned to the forum, and the guy spammed the forum and got demoted and banned (I could be wrong, that's just what it looked like to me lol). Then there was us.

Wow, that was such a long time ago!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I think Dave had some sort of falling out with the one mod he had assigned to the forum, and the guy spammed the forum and got demoted and banned (I could be wrong, that's just what it looked like to me lol).
Actually, the original mod was a CM zealot, and some dude :rolleyes: started questioning his logic. The mod didn't appreciate it very much, so the mod started deleting the dude's :rolleyes: posts for no reason. So that dude :rolleyes: brought it to the admin's attention. Consequently the mod was ousted.

Shortly thereafter, all I remember is being voted in by the people. So I think my title should be changed to "The People's Moderator."

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Actually, the original mod was a CM zealot, and some dude :rolleyes: started questioning his logic. The mod didn't appreciate it very much, so the mod started deleting the dude's :rolleyes: posts for no reason. So that dude :rolleyes: brought it to the admin's attention. Consequently the mod was ousted.

Shortly thereafter, all I remember is being voted in by the people. So I think my title should be changed to "The People's Moderator."
You? Questioning someone's logic? Nah...;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts