Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellooooo, I am getting a 8week old pug mix puppy and got the Merrick puppy food for it I was wondering if this was a good brand of dog food and if it isn't which one you would recommend me to get!!!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It's usually a good idea to keep a puppy on whatever the breeder is feeding for several weeks to a month after you get them, even if you wouldn't normally feed that food.

Merrick is okay, if somewhat overpriced. My dogs did okay on it whenever I fed it (although my cats didn't particularly care for it).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm not familiar with Merrick, but I'm with LeoRose in that I believe the best thing to do is start your puppy on the food it's been eating in the litter for at least a couple of weeks. Ask specifically what the puppy has been getting and how it's been prepared - just dry kibble? soaked in water? in milk? in a puppy formula? Some breeders mix a little canned with soaked kibble. (If regular cow's milk is being mixed in, I'd stop that within a day or two. It's not the best thing for puppies.) A puppy going to a new home has enough adjusting to do without starting a new food that may upset it's stomach or guts. After that initial period, if you want to change, do it gradually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I am planning on getting what the breeder gives but I just wanted to know what brand to feed my dog but no one seems to be giving actual recommendations? I would really like to know what brand of food.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well, the best food is one your dog does well on, likes to eat, and that you can afford to feed. That covers a lot of territory.

If you are looking for a specific recommendation, I like Pro Plan. I've fed just about everything from grocery store brands to "super-premium" foods over the years, and keep coming back to Pro Plan because that's what meets my criteria of they do well on it, like to eat it, and I can afford it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts