Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please help me choose from these foods for my cavalier king charles puppy please as they are the only decent foods in my area. Royal canin puppy 33, Eukanuba, hill's science plan, purina pro plan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I asked for help on those brands please as already stated I can't buy filler free food as in my area there isn't any. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Honest to goodness I really don't like any of them. Do you have a credit card that you can use to order holistic brands online??

·
Registered
296 Posts
Judging by your list I'm going to guess you are shopping at petsmart?
Natures recipe and blue buffalo are both sold at petsmart and are way better (and probably cheaper too)

·
Registered
329 Posts
There are alot of places online that do have free shipping (over a certain dollar amount) for dog food :)

I am not a fan of any of the foods listed..

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Where are you shopping?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Judging by your list I'm going to guess you are shopping at petsmart?
Natures recipe and blue buffalo are both sold at petsmart and are way better (and probably cheaper too)
Blue Buffalo is far better than Nature's Recipe. I'm not a fan of the " animal digest" that Nature's Recipe includes and all the salt.

Blue Buffalo is a good choice.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Okay to answer the actual question... if you absolutely HAVE to choose between those for some reason, then I would go with Pro Plan. None of them are really very much good though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm form Malta that's why I can't buy any holistic food as I can't find any here. If you know of any online pet store that ships to Malta please tell me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Go with the pro plan, or look into a homemade or raw diet.

Blue Buffalo is much more rich than Nature's Recipe and I find the dogs have more stomach upset on it.

----

Blue Buffalo Puppy Lamb
Lamb & Brown Rice Recipe
Ingredients: Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids)

Nature's Recipe Puppy
Ingredients: Lamb meal, ground rice, pearled barley, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols)

While the BB has two sources of lamb, it also has a lot more grains, and fish. The NR is simpler. For puppies I recommend the NR first.

Another NR, Adult Lamb
Ingredients: Lamb meal, cracked pearled barley, oatmeal, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols),

I don't see animal digest. I found it in their farmstands formula, but not in the easy to digest. However, it's low down in the ingredients, past the first source of fat - so it's not a main ingredient.

The other BB have a lot of grain to only a few meat sources. Both are good foods, but they both have their shortcomings :) The biggest complaints I hear from BB customers is 1. non-stop diarrhea, 2. the dogs don't eat the "lifesource bits".

I've used them both however. Right now the puppy is on the NR.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Another NR, Adult Lamb
Ingredients: Lamb meal, cracked pearled barley, oatmeal, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols),

I don't see animal digest. I found it in their farmstands formula, but not in the easy to digest. However, it's low down in the ingredients, past the first source of fat - so it's not a main ingredient.
You only showed the first 5 ingredients in Nature's Recipe, lamb digest is 7th on the list.

Nature’s Recipe® Easy-to-Digest Lamb, Rice & Barley Recipe
Lamb meal, ground rice, pearled barley, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried potatoes, lamb digest, tomato pomace, potassium chloride

I don't see how Nature's Recipe is much simpler than Blue? Blue does have quite a bit more meat in it also.

Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Menhaden Fish Meal (natural source of DHA-Docosahexaneoic Acid)

Nature's Recipe also does not contain the Omega 3's and 6's that Blue does. I stand by Blue being the better food. My dogs did not do well on Nature's Recipe, and I know a ton of dogs who do well on Blue. Obviously, it varies from dog to dog, like how some dogs do better on cheaper foods like Iams than the higher end foods. Just because a dog may do better on Iams I certainly wouldn't call it a superior food.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Lamb digest is not Animal Digest. What is wrong with lamb digest?

I only listed the foods up to the fat or oil, because everything else after that is minimal.

It's simpler because it has fewer ingredients. As I said, Blue may have more meats listed, but it has many more grains, and IMO having two meat sources (lamb and fish) makes it more rich and that is harder on a puppy tummy.

I still recomend blue to customers, but both my dogs had the runs on it. I do LOVE their wilderness for adults tho. I use Blue cat food sometimes for the cats when they need canned. But for a puppy, NR is a better choice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lamb digest is not Animal Digest. What is wrong with lamb digest?

I only listed the foods up to the fat or oil, because everything else after that is minimal.

It's simpler because it has fewer ingredients. As I said, Blue may have more meats listed, but it has many more grains, and IMO having two meat sources (lamb and fish) makes it more rich and that is harder on a puppy tummy.

I still recomend blue to customers, but both my dogs had the runs on it. I do LOVE their wilderness for adults tho. I use Blue cat food sometimes for the cats when they need canned. But for a puppy, NR is a better choice.
"But for a puppy, NR is a better choice." That's your opinion but it is only an opinion. My dog does well on Blue Buffalo and has for quite a few years. He does not get the runs. Nor does my friend's puppy who is on it at my suggestion. Like a previous poster stated, some dogs will do well on some foods and others won't. It's actually up to the OP to try them and decide which one works best for his/her puppy.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I agree, but so is "Blue Buffalo is far better than Nature's Recipe." - just an opinion. If stating one as fact is okay, me saying NR is better is also okay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts