Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
That's completely normal. My dog is 10 months old and spends the whole day at home alone, but when I come home at lunch time and after work, she barely takes her eyes off me, and moves whenever I'm moving. HOWEVER, when she's playing with a toy, or chewing on a bone, she's more independent, she's only really attentive like that when she's in a resting state. So I agree with tasty chews and toys for sure!

Also, if you have him tethered to you, make sure you do some independence training too, as he may be getting really attached to you, which can lead to him feeling uneasy when you're away. When he empties his pee and poo, try leaving him alone for a minute, and increasingly longer intervals, so he's ok being without you. Then when you're together, just do your own thing (read, etc) and look at him from the corner of your eye to prevent accidents, but just ignore him, and as he gets older, he'll know that when you're reading a newspaper, or watching tv, or having dinner, that it's his cue to do his own thing.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts