Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We thought we had foiled our new puppy's escape plan by blocking larger gaps in our picket fence with some old window shutters. He is smarter than we thought because, with fresh rain softening the soil, he has now started digging holes under the fence and crawls under in a flash. There's never anything on the other side that he is trying to get after, he just seems to find it amusing.

Wondering what type of solutions are out there and the associated labor and costs. Of course the long term solution is to get him not to dig, but the priority now is to keep him contained as we live on a fairly busy road.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Picket fencing isn't the most secure anyway typically since the gaps in the fence make it even easier to dig a small hole that is large enough to escape by.

Supervision is key but I would still secure the fence because dogs can get under fence like that surprisingly quickly (I had a 60 lb dog go under chain link fence while I was 15 feet away, it was his first week with me and I hadn't had time to teach a reliable "stop" and recall so it was just "blink" and he's under the fence, luckily he was interested in playing fetch so I lured him back a-okay)

Chicken wire is probably one of the cheapest and most functional ways to stop a dog from going under a fence- fold it into an L shape and have part of it back up against the fence, secure with some staples or wire ties. The bottom half is laid flat on the ground and usually recovered with dirt and grass.
Example (hotlinked photos just as samples)

You can also use rows of concrete blocks or wood posts along the base of the fence to make it more difficult to dig under

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Don't leave him outside unsupervised long enough that he can dig holes and escape.

In fact, don't leave him outside unsupervised at all. That should solve the problem very quickly :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I would put in dog guards like Shell showed. It houldnt be too difficult or expensive. I have bricks around the base of my fence.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great picture Shell posted! Yes, was going to say chicken wire too. We actually had to do this some years ago along the fence line between us and a neighbor to keep their dog from digging into our yard! We put it under the fence and covered it with mulch. My daughter just had to do this at her place to keep a dog from digging in to try and get her goats.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would opt for the wooden posts or cement solution. I find that wire start rusting and then you have big problems. Wire starts coming up if you live in a frost/freeze/thaw state and this can cause some problems with the mower catching the wire. I think the best thing would be if you have the dog on a long line, supervise while outside and teach in a positive method to stay within the boundary of the yard. I know sounds like work but owning a dog can at time be work.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
When I am home and can check on the dogs / new pup I let them be outside as there is a dog door that they can come in at any times. I like the 6 x 6 wood post idea... heavy enough not to be easy to move and high enough to fully cover the area weak area of the fence you want to keep them away from..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts