Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a four month old Pocket Beagle/Shih Tzu mix. The first month that we had her, everything was perfect health-wise. Then, about four weeks ago, she had a bout of diarrhea. We watched her carefully for a few days, she was perfectly fine in terms of behaviour, energy level and appetite. But when the diarrhea would not go away, we went to the vet. Her stool was tested and she was given Metrodinazole (sp?). The tests were negative, and while on the antibiotic her stool firmed up. As soon as the antibiotic ended, the diarrhea was back a couple of days later. It has been on and off since. We are currently on day 3. We were at the vets yesterday for another reason (slight ear infection) and told him about it - he said to just wait and see as it could just be stress from environmental changes (we did just go up North and it was a long drive).

Anyway - I was wondering if anyone has any advice?? We started putting a small amount of plain yogurt in her food a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it's made any difference but she LOVES it. Today we gave her a small amount of pumpkin - have not had a stool yet afterwards.

Anything else I could do? Her energy is still up and so is her appetite, but I'm so worried. Plus, we are now getting up a couple of times a night to let her out for a loose bowel movement, which of course is not fun! Thank you!!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
keep adding a couple of rounded tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the food. It should firm things up in a day. If it doesn't, try feeding just boiled skinless boneless chicken and white rice in small meals, aling with the pumpkin for a few days. The current food you are feeding may not agree with her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am feeding her blue buffalo, grain free. So even though it was fine for her for the first month it may have become the problem? And the antibiotic was the only change, though we started adding yogurt a few days later. Her two bowel movements since I started adding the pumpkin have been a bit better but still not solid. Hopefully we'll see a change today,but I don't know if it will solve things in the long- term. I feel so bad for her!

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
It seems like with diarrhea it can always be just the food. Is it the same bag of food? Toronto's pretty hot and humid isn't it, could the food have gone bad? You can always try switching to a different brand to see if it helps, or put her on boiled chicken and rice for a few days to see if anything changes.

I was curious about the antibiotic cause I wasn't sure if antibiotic alone did anything for diarrhea other than bacterial causes. If it was just diarrhea from environmental stress or something would it respond to an antibiotic? I don't know but I'm no vet.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Your pup's system may be out of whack, due to the antibiotic; not unusual. You could try giving the pup a probiotic, which is more intensive than plain yogurt (is the yogurt you're giving Greek plain, no fat yogurt? It's better - more cultures in it). BB grain free is chicken based - some dogs are sensitive to this, but not sure in your case, since the pup was fine on it before the antibiotic. It sounds like the pumpkin is helping, so I'd stick with that for awhile.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Talk to your vet about the possibility of coccidia or giardia. It can be difficult to find them in a stool sample as they are not a bacteria. If they aren't producing spoor sometimes they don't show up. Treating is simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the advice! I will explore the possibility of it being her current bag of food... however, after a day and a half of giving her a tiny bit of pumpkin in all her meals, her poop is back to normal!!!!

Now my new question, for all those that have experienced this... now that it's back to normal, should I continue giving her pumpkin?? When should I stop, if at all? Should I go back to adding yogurt? Should I alternate? Haha too many choices... Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I wouldn't do the yogurt again. Some dogs don't do well with dairy. Pumpkin doesn't hurt dogs long term. It's basically fiber. You can try reducing it, and see if the poop is still ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had two dogs with chronic diarrhea. The lst was treated with Flagyl which worked very well and isn't too expensive. The second is now being treated with Tylan powder. Both medications were prescribed by the vet and worked for each dog. Note: these are for life long conditions. Sometimes there is just something wrong with the dog's digestive tract. My 50 lb mixed breed gets l/4 ts of Tylan powder at each meal (Max is fed 2X a day) and has "lovely" poops! I can get the powder on-line for about 2/3 what the vet charges. Flagyl is cheaper by the way. Ask you vet.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Yogurt is essentially to act as a probiotic. That's why when you buy plain yogurt, it's suppose to be with "live and active cultures". It adds bacteria to help with digestion. Some dogs are lactose intolerant just like people. Most at least do fine with diary like cheese and yogurt. Milk may cause issues for some dogs but my dog can drink more milk than I can without getting sick.

Pumpkin is fiber. It firms up stool because the fiber helps absorb excess water. It helps with removing some of the irritation in the colon by having more firm stool, which can stop dogs from trying to squeeze out poop before it's "dry". It doesn't really help with other underlying causes.

Once the stool has firmed up, you don't really need to continue giving pumpkin to maintain a firm stool if nothing is causing the diarrhea anymore. Dogs don't really need much dietary fiber. While there isn't any particular harm to continue giving pumpkin, I would reduce it like nikes said just to see if the poop stays firm, cause if it doesn't, there might still something bothering her.

·
Banned
964 Posts
also...
Make sure that you remove all the soap whilst washing your dogs bowls.
Even the smallest amount of soap remaining in your dogs bowl can cause them to have diarrhea .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just from a quick google search "As early as the 13th century, nobles hunted with packs of tiny Beagles. Known as "glove Beagles," because they reportedly fit in the palm of a heavy leather hunting glove, they were eventually replaced by the 13-inch and 15-inch Beagles we know today. Some modern-day breeders have attempted to recreate the little hounds, resulting in dogs that are referred to as mini Beagles or olde English pocket Beagles." (http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/pocket-beagle)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts