Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some reassurance please. I’ve put a deposit on a puppy and was sent a lovely video of pups feeding from mum. Puppy is just 3 weeks old. Anyway Mum got up left and my puppy was whining and crying, all the others just curled up together. Mine is big and fat and healthy looking but the crying has really worried me that this is not normal behaviour when the others were fine. Does this mean I will have an insecure puppy. Any advice on this please. Many thanks, sally

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
What is he like at other times? It could just be that he was unhappy that she interrupted his meal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
He could just be the vocal type- or protesting the removal of his meal lol. Unless he does this very frequently, or any time the mother moves away, I probably wouldn't be concerned at this point.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Agreed, if this is only one single moment there could be dozens of reasons why that puppy is responding differently than the others that have little to nothing to do with their underlying temperament. Maybe they got to the milk bar last or was hungrier so wasn't ready to stop and settle down yet. Maybe they had a long nap earlier while their siblings were active and are now more awake than they are. Maybe a littermate kicked or pushed them as mom got up and got them going.

The breeder is going to know a lot more about what the puppy's normal pattern of behavior is, and that'll be your best bet for evaluating their temperament. I like to go to a breeder who has the primary say in puppy placement for this reason - all too often you hear someone pick a puppy because "they were so calm and sweet!" when they first met, not knowing that pup was calm because they'd spent the last three hours terrorizing the rest of the household and was tired. You can imagine how that goes, haha! But a good breeder will be happy to answer questions about your pup's unique personality and temperament as they develop, though be compassionate if they're slow or scattered getting back to you - raising a litter is hard work and they likely are trying to keep up with all of the prospective puppy owners right now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts