Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had this problem ( if you can call it a problem ) ? Benji has been walked 3 times on a leash outside ( every other day its pouring! ). The walks last 20ish mins as his legs are short an slow. But the entire way he looks at me and cries, even trying to jump up in my arms. He is freaked out especially by louder cars, which causes a dangerous situation as he darts to the road where the 'scary' noise is coming from with his tail tucked. I know he will get use to it eventually, but I was just wondering if alot of puppies are scared of the 'outside' world?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Yes. Puppies go through normal development fear cycles, where they are timid about new experiences. If the experience is not too extreme, the pups get used to it in about a month or so. My pup used to be scared of the sewer drain in the street, then one day he got interested, and rather than avoiding the sewer, the pup nearly climbed down into it. Today, he ignores it.

Keep walking your puppy. Things might be a little easier if you can find a quieter time, but, if you can't he'll still get used to it.

·
Banned
78 Posts
yes, i had a rottie that was terrified of wheelie bins as a pup. Keep walking, the more practice, the more desensitised your pup will be. And you as the anxious mum, will not have to watch it struggle. But its time for a bit of tough love. You dont want to be pampering to his distress. You need a 'get over it' attitude going down the lead. Pups aint that clever. Teach it to chase a ball indoors, and use the ball game on leash near a quieter road, then busier, etc etc. Distract her attention with something else, something positive, her ball. Worked for mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts