Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My partner and I have recently got a puppy. She's 10 weeks old now and we've had her from 7 weeks.

The first few nights she would cry quite a bit at night when we put her in her crate, but after looking it up online it seems no more than can be expected from a young puppy. Thankfully she is now pretty happy to settle down at night, usually by herself but otherwise she will only hav a little whine for a few minutes at most. She also sleeps right through from 11pm til 6am!

However, when it comes to leaving for work she doesn't do so well in her crate. I wake at 6am let her outside and then feed her, my partner then comes down at 7:15am when I leave for work and is with her until 8:45am when she leaves for work. She has obviously had breakfast, is left with her stuffed kong & water, and has been outside to toilet when my partner leaves - so all the bases have been covered.

We have recorded her a few times recently and today she cried non-stop for a whole hour! It's usually between 30mins-1hr. She has definitely picked up on cues of us leaving, so we are going to work on desensitising her to those (keys, shoes, door), so she doesnt always associate it with us leaving. We have also worked on getting her more comfortable in the crate with her kong whilst we are in the room/house, as before she would cry when locked in there unless she was quite tired.

She goes in of her own accord when tired and is fed in there so she's perfectly happy with her crate, apart from being left alone. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or if we had overlooked anything obvious as this is our first puppy?

Sorry for the big post, I just wanted to paint a clear picture.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I would also do all the things that you would do while you're leaving walk out the door and then come back in, then take off your coat (or whatever you do when you get home) and relax then in a few minutes get up grab all your stuff like you're leaving again and leave. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. This will help her see that sometimes you come back in a few minutes and leaving isn't a big deal (during all this time give her no attention). :D Also on DF pictures are kinda a must :D so pictures please :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would also do all the things that you would do while you're leaving walk out the door and then come back in, then take off your coat (or whatever you do when you get home) and relax then in a few minutes get up grab all your stuff like you're leaving again and leave. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. This will help her see that sometimes you come back in a few minutes and leaving isn't a big deal (during all this time give her no attention). :D Also on DF pictures are kinda a must :D so pictures please :D
Thanks for taking the time to reply. We will get started on doing that over and over! Funnily enough she doesn't seem to cry at all during the afternoon when my partner leaves her after coming home for lunch!

I've attached a couple pics as requested :D She's called Roxy and she's a Eurasier :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply. We will get started on doing that over and over! Funnily enough she doesn't seem to cry at all during the afternoon when my partner leaves her after coming home for lunch!

I've attached a couple pics as requested :D She's called Roxy and she's a Eurasier :)
OMG she is made of cuteness :D I've never heard of one can you tell me about them? She's so fluffy, dogs are weird they do strange things

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG she is made of cuteness :D I've never heard of one can you tell me about them? She's so fluffy, dogs are weird they do strange things
Lol! She is extremely cute :) Getting bigger by the day!

We hadn't heard of them either until we were looking into getting a dog and trying to find a breed that suited us. They are a cross between a chow chow, keeshund and samoyed. They are supposed to have quite a calm, reserved temperament and be relatively easy to train, so the perfect sort of dog for us as a couple. So far she's been really good at toilet training and sleeping through the night, so it's only really this leaving her alone that's been a problem. That and the inevitable nipping that has just started ;)

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Lol! She is extremely cute :) Getting bigger by the day!

We hadn't heard of them either until we were looking into getting a dog and trying to find a breed that suited us. They are a cross between a chow chow, keeshund and samoyed. They are supposed to have quite a calm, reserved temperament and be relatively easy to train, so the perfect sort of dog for us as a couple. So far she's been really good at toilet training and sleeping through the night, so it's only really this leaving her alone that's been a problem. That and the inevitable nipping that has just started ;)
They sound awesome :D they sound amazing and with all those fluffy coats they are going to be awesome :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I heard somewhere that you shouldn't say goodbye to your dog or make any fuss about him as it means something emotional to humans but your dog sees it as a cue that your leaving.
Also they say that if you walk him before you leave his needs are met and he is drained from excess energy.
Another tip/theory that I read (not all dog owners agree with the 'alpha dog stuff' but it's just something I came across might be of use!) is that if you are seen by your dog as 'leader' he will have no issues being left alone. Its only when the dog sees himself as leader that issues arise because the 'pack' never leave the leader so he becomes stressed.
Hope some of these are of use?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I heard somewhere that you shouldn't say goodbye to your dog or make any fuss about him as it means something emotional to humans but your dog sees it as a cue that your leaving.
Also they say that if you walk him before you leave his needs are met and he is drained from excess energy.
Another tip/theory that I read (not all dog owners agree with the 'alpha dog stuff' but it's just something I came across might be of use!) is that if you are seen by your dog as 'leader' he will have no issues being left alone. Its only when the dog sees himself as leader that issues arise because the 'pack' never leave the leader so he becomes stressed.
Hope some of these are of use?
Nobody here (besides new people mostly) believe in the alpha thing crantastic has some lovely links you can PM her and ask for them. Why do you need to prove to your dog that you are a leader you already control his food source/when he exercises/where he eliminates....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That is one of the most adorable puppies I've ever seen. So. Amazingly. Cute.

I don't have anything else to add, I just wanted you to know that I want to swipe your puppy and snuggle all day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts