Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My sister had been waiting for months for her puppy and the Breeder played mind games with her for a while about numbers , she got her dog paid the money 3 days before pick up and was so excited and already attached , when she went to get it they took her away and got her to sign a document saying they can take the dog back to breed it if something happens to the other female .
She’s a good person and lives alone etc and the thought of them taking the dog is already upsetting her .
Is this normal ?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Technically she signed a contract although she could claim she did so under duress..

Ive heard of breeders making clauses so they can reclaim a dog but thats normally to stop a person selling a dog on or dumping it in a rescue. Ive also heard of no breeding clauses. The only time Ive heard of something like this is with some very rare breeds when you must sign up to the breeding program or else you cant have a pup..
I think maybe she should consult a lawyer and see what they say.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I realize it's too late for your sister, Samkit05, but for anyone else thinking about a pup - for Pete's sake, ask to see the contract when even thinking about a puppy from a certain breeder and read every single word. It's part of what you're getting and sometimes spells out what you're not getting. DON'T sign anything you aren't willing to honor. It's amazing what people will sign in order to get what they want now, and how unhappy they are when that contract comes into play and how unwilling to admit it's their own fault, not the fault of the person who required that contract when selling a puppy.

For that matter, the above pertains to every part of life. Don't sign anything you haven't read or don't understand. Don't sign anything you won't be willing to honor. Don't believe anyone who wants you to sign something unreasonable who says, "Oh, don't worry. That will never happen."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts