Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new pawrents of two crossed breed puppies age 2months. They are mixture of maltese poodle and mongrel. My question is about their coat. Will it be long coated or short coated? They have longer hair only on their ears, the rest is shorter. Thanks for helping out! :)

F6196427-2A87-4CEC-B35B-EB407CB1D45F.jpeg

46533F22-001E-45C9-9687-21BA7DD544F6.jpeg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Awww they are so cute! I think it would be hard to say whether they would inherit more a poodle coat or fur as even pups from the same litter could receive different coat genes from the parents. I have a schnauzer and at 2 months they are hairier than your two and the coat lies much flatter than a poodle, but that's only my 2 cents.

Just a heads up, are you familiar with littermate syndrome? Awareness is a tool for working with it, so just throwing that out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's possible they'll keep the short coat with longer hair in their ears- the majority of dogs don't get more fluffy after puppyhood- if anything they get less fluffy- but that's certainly not a hard-and-fast rule.

I second @K9luv on the littermate syndrome. Do some research on it- or ask questions here- if you're not 100% clear on it. If you aren't already, give them some time separated from each other, and do individual play/training with one while the other is crated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts