Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a four month old dachshund/chihuahua mix with two issues:

1.) He loves to chew the edge of my couch and ottoman, even if there are toys laying around right next to him. How can I discourage this?

2.) He still doesn't seem to understand that biting hands/feet/noses/etc. is not good, even when we say "ouch!" when he goes it. He especially likes to bite feet when they have socks, and when he gets into his especially rambunctious moods, he has seemingly no restraint when it comes to biting. What can I do about this?

·
Registered
95 Posts

1.) He loves to chew the edge of my couch and ottoman, even if there are toys laying around right next to him. How can I discourage this?

2.) He still doesn't seem to understand that biting hands/feet/noses/etc. is not good, even when we say "ouch!" when he goes it. He especially likes to bite feet when they have socks, and when he gets into his especially rambunctious moods, he has seemingly no restraint when it comes to biting. What can I do about this?

Give him a raw meaty bone. The dog will love it.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts

1) You can discourage this by ENCOURAGING him to chew on appropriate toys (re-direct). Also, many dogs find that toys which just "lay around" have little interest or value to them. In order to CREATE more interest, pick a toy up, shake it around, play with it yourself, make squeaky noises, drag it across the floor, engage the dog in some tugging .... bring the toy to "life" to unleash the dog's natural prey drive. Use ample praise/verbal encouragement to let him know he's doing the right thing with the right item.

2) After reading this I'm thinking .. perhaps make a homemade toy out of an old sock with a small ball inside of it. Use "the bite stops here" to help teach him a distinction between the sock with the foot in it, and the sock with the ball in it.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts

1. PREVENT him from chewing on the couch and ottoman. That means you have to supervise. Watch him closely. When he even LOOKS like he's going to head toward the couch or ottoman, interrupt him, and distract him, redirect him to something else. What you are doing is heading him off before he even GETS there. If you PREVENT him from getting to the couch and ottoman (for chewing purposes) then, after awhile, it's not even an option for him. Kind of like if you get him out of the habit, and replace that habit with something else, he won't consider it an option on his list of fun things to do.

2. Do check out "The Bite Stops Here." And, remember that being consistent and patient is a key. You aren't just trying to get him to stop biting/nipping on one occasion, you're actually trying to TEACH him a concept, and that takes time. For our first pup, bite inhibition took 4 weeks, our second, about 2 weeks, and the foster pup we have now, about 2-3 weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts