Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I came because i'm kind of out of clues.
I read the "Enough with the potty threads" butI think mine is different.

I have a 5 months old boxer mix golden puppy. So far, hes a really good dog. Doesnt bite, doesnt pee inside 90% of the time and going better each day. He sleeps in a crate. But in the morning, when I wake up to get him out, he gets really excited and pees a little. I found that ignoring him until he calms down really seems to work but the problem is that when he calms down and I open up the gate, he pees almost all the way to the door.
He also pees when people come to visit because hes really excited. We tell our friends to ignore him until he calms down but he pees anyway.

I want to ask you if this is normal?
How should I react when he pees?
Any tips?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Under 6 months, dogs don't have the nervous system development to tell accurately when they need to pee. So, yes, this is normal. He gets all excited and totally loses his bladder because he can't tell that it's full.

Other than waiting for his body to develop, you could put pee pads in a trail from the crate to the door, use a belly band if we're not talking about too much pee, and if you know friends are coming over, take him out to pee beforehand, then put him in his crate and line the bottom with pee pads. Then keep him in the crate until he calms down and can be let out to visit with your friends.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Mine went through an excited wee phase around the time he started reliably asking to go out (just under 5 mos). He just turned 7 months and I don't remember the last time he dribbled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts