Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the ability to find puppy breath enjoyable a genetic trait in humans? I only ask because I find it absolutely repulsive and I have met a few (a VERY few) other people who feel the same way. It has always baffled me when people talk about "wanting to smell that puppy breath" because when I have a puppy on my lap and it breathes on me I have to turn my head away and hold my breath to avoid smelling it. The closest thing I can describe it as is it smells like feces to me.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Ha Ha No, you are not alone, it gags me as well. I love puppies (who doesn't?) but I HATE the smell of their breath. People always say "I just love that puppy breath" and I say "why?"

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Add me for another who cant stand it. Grosses me right out. When I got solo. I thought he was rotting from the inside out (though he could have been since he was in such bad shape) I dont get how people can love the smell.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I am not a fan either. In fact, I hate dog smell all together. It was a major hesitation in getting a dog. Mine is very low-odor fortunately! and I brush his teeth so he doesn't have stank breath.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
I'm not sure I understand which smell. A very young puppy, under 10 weeks, seems to have a sweet milk breath. At about 12 weeks, I think they start to smell doggy (depending on what you feed them), but brushing seems to fix that.

My adult dog's breath is innocuous, unless I go too long between brushings, then it smells bad, reminding me that it's time to brush. In contrast to puppies, he has mild allergies, with an occasional sinus infection that I think I can smell when he breathes out his nose.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I like the smell of brand new puppy breath ... and brand new puppy! ( If you have ever had the experience of being around a newborn litter ) Once they get to be about 6 weeks old I lose interest.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Worm breath, I always call it. Ugh.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I have never enjoyed puppy breath, and I have been around quite a few litters, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I also don't get those that like to smell puppies feet, saying they smell like popcorn.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
We actually had to ask the vet about Caeda's breath on her first visit. My DH and I both found it RANCID! Vet popped Caeda's mouth open, stuck her nose in and said "yep, that's puppy breath". EWWWWW! I could see how "new puppy" puppy breath could be better, but we didn't get Caeda until she was about 8 weeks.

ChaosIsAWeim lol...I smelled Caeda's feet the other day, she's over a year, but her feet smell like fritos! Didn't check when she was a puppy though...maybe they did smell like popcorn.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Add me to the list. I don't find it appealing... I don't really find puppies appealing either, lol. 6 months and up, it's on my box.

I do like the smell of dog though. Smell my dogs all the time, between the shoulder blades is the best place (this is not crazy). I especially love the smell of sleeping dog. I dunno, I just love it. It's a warm and comforting smell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts