Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a beautiful 4 month old Bernese mountain dog X standard poodle puppy who is so well behaved and doing very well with training... EXCEPT!!:

I take him on 2-3 short walks a day, between 20-40 mins, (he is a large breed so am not supposed to overwalk him.) When he goes off leash on walks he LOVES it, he runs around going crazy and is a bit hyperactive, He always comes back when called but if I go to pat him or if I run around with him he gets really bitey.

He bites arms, clothes, etc and wont let go. I have tried shouting loudly, tapping his nose (gently) growling, yelping like a puppy but it all just seems to spur him on more, Im sure he thinks its a game.

If he acts like this at home (rarely) I shut him out the room for a few seconds and he seems to get the gist but I dont have this option when out walking...

Any ideas?! I cant figure this one out! :help:

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Personally I would just prevent him from getting overstimulated to the point where he gets mouthy. When you see him getting hyper and crazy, leash him up again and move on. Alternatively, when he gets mouthy leash him up. Being mouthy = game over.

He's only 4 months so it'll be a while until he's over the biting thing, for now I would just manage it and prevent him from practicing the behaviour as much as you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! However he also does it on the leash too when hyper. The only way to stop him is to literally hold the leash near his collar away from me till he stops, but once I move off he just goes to bite again...

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
He bites arms, clothes, etc and wont let go. I have tried shouting loudly, tapping his nose (gently) growling, yelping like a puppy but it all just seems to spur him on more, Im sure he thinks its a game.
Give him an acceptable outlet, such as a tug toy.
Work on teaching him a release cue and an all-done, at home first, then eventually alternate between play / tug sessions and relative calmness while out walking. Don't forget to reward 'both' behaviours, most notably the calmness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts