Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this section was a better place to post this question:

Alrighty, so I brought home my Malinois about three weeks ago....he's the cutest little dude EXCEPT.....he bites/chews on me all the time.

I know its meant to play and try to be dominant, but it hurts and its not cute. Every time I play with him i have 2-3 fresh bruises and some good sized scrapes on my arms.

I have tried squirting him in the face with water, an empty soda can filled with pennies, turning away from him and ignoring him when he does it, bopping him on the side of the mouth, getting him to let go and holding his muzzle shut, telling him "no" or "uh uh" real loud. Nothing seems to be effective....

Looking for ideas....just really dont want a 60lb dog that likes to eat me when he's older. Help plz? LOL

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
drop your alpha stuff. your dog is not being dominant. its a puppy. just like little kids who put everything in their mouths, so do puppies. its how they explore things. the ONLY thing you did that i would continue is ignoring him when he puts his mouth on you. get up and leave the room. i have a 3 strike rule.
1st time teeth hit skin- "ouch!" leave room for 30 seconds, then come back and play again
2nd time teeth hit skin- "ouch!" leave room for 1 min, then come back and play again
3rd time teeth hit skin- "ouch!" im done playing, leave room and begin doing something else. dont begin play until later on.
say ouch in a high pitch, like a yelp. this is what little mates do when they play as pups. its saying "you hurt me and now im not playing with you anymore". you have to be consistant. mouthing isnt something thats cured in a couple repetitions. the other methods you have tried are only setting you up to be bitten worse, and out of anger instead of play.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 8 month old pit mix. Except, he NEVER bites me. It's ALWAYS my wife. At least once or twice a day he bites her legs/feet. It's always when he's riled up and wanting to play. It's just strange that he neve bites me, or my stepson. For the past couple days she's been trying the "OUCH"/leave the room method GreatDaneMom described. Too soon to tell a difference so far. But hopefully with a little time and consistency it'll do the trick.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
A little Mal is a whole lot like an alligator or a dragon. Hopefully this was not a surprise for you!

What I would be doing is finding activities that you can say Yes to and redirect your puppy towards. Saying No has its place, but if you can't redirect your pup to something better to do, you are destined to fail.

Will your pup play tug? Retrieve? If not, here's a place to start. What are your future plans for the pup? Agility or anything? This is a great time to teach impulse control games. Your pup can't chew on you and work on impulse control... Or obedience.

Kongs filled with good stuff and then frozen can buy you a little peace. Exercise the little demon until he can be calm.

You have a pup that is bred to be a very, very high drive dog. You are better off focusing and channelling the energy than you are fighting it. Your pup is just going to harden if you keep being harsh with it. Find a job for you pup. It will work out better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts