Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... I have a 3 month cocker spaniel who unfortunately has a fractured front leg. He is currently in a cast and under strict crate rest for 4 weeks minimum. We’ve just done our first week and it’s been hard but have noticed when we take him out for a cuddle he is biting a lot more and harder sometimes. I’m putting it down to boredom/no exercise/teething/frustration but I want to manage it better now. I wondered if anyone had any advice on how I could train or minimise the biting with crate rest in mind. Thanks

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Get some raw meaty bones for him to chew on in the crate. Freeze them first. A dog this size would do fine with raw neck bones from the Supermarket.

When you take him out have a toy he can sink his teeth into (like a soft plush toy) instead of you. Redirect to that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
He's probably quite bored, Cockers are energetic and being put on crate rest must suck :(. I'm sure he's just exited to be let out.

When he does bite you, try and redirect with a different toy/bone, and praise for redirecting (if your puppy doesn't get too exited by praise, if he does, just calmly say "yes" or "good")

I second the raw meaty bones for the crate, yak chews are good, stuffed kongs, lick mats.. all things to keep your puppy mentally stimulated

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
I also love nose games as low-energy activities that give you a lot of mental stimulation. You can hide treats for her to find in a small area (all ground level to avoid her trying to jump or anything too active), under a blanket, inside an egg carton, folded into empty cardboard toilet paper tubes, etc. If you want to be more involved in the activity, you can play games like "what cup/bowl is the treat under?" with her. Many dogs find working with their nose very satisfying and tiring, and I use it a lot myself when I can't offer as much physical activity as usual due to weather, busy schedules, or illness/injury (human or canine).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts