Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking for a bit of advice. We’ve had a puppy for two weeks and it’s all going great however she goes a bit mental and bites the sofa when we sit on it instead of sitting on the floor with her. We’ve tried to ignore her so she gets bored or sees there’s no reaction to that behaviour but the sofa wouldn’t survive so also tried saying ‘off’ and giving her a nudge down off the sofa but she continues. Any advice or ideas would be great! Thanks Toby

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have you tried teaching a "settle" command? Either on a bed or at your feet. Any alternative command that you ask for before she exhibits the problem behavior should help. The key is to avoid it before it starts by asking for something else. And if you can't stop her in time, you might try redirection. A "look at me" if you've taught that, or just put a treat near her nose and guide her away. IT sounds like your puppy is just a normal, excited puppy though. (I'm assuming she already has the appropriate amount of mental and physical exercise)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
How old is the puppy? I would get a soft toy and redirect to the toy.. maybe a game of tug. Maybe get one of those knotted cotton ropes so she can pull and be off the couch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kensi, thanks for your reply. So basically try and teach her to settle down before we get on the sofa. We’ve began to treat her more when she’s doing nothing or relaxing so hopefully this is the same thing? Yes she’s only 10 weeks and doesn’t have her second set of jabs for another week or so we take her out in a back pack to smell, see and hear things and play with her through the day. She’s a Sprocker so naturally has loads of energy I believe. Also working on recall which is fine in the house but in the garden she’s too distracted me smells and things to be as consistent. Thanks Toby

Have you tried teaching a "settle" command? Either on a bed or at your feet. Any alternative command that you ask for before she exhibits the problem behavior should help. The key is to avoid it before it starts by asking for something else. And if you can't stop her in time, you might try redirection. A "look at me" if you've taught that, or just put a treat near her nose and guide her away. IT sounds like your puppy is just a normal, excited puppy though. (I'm assuming she already has the appropriate amount of mental and physical exercise)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Kensi, thanks for your reply. So basically try and teach her to settle down before we get on the sofa. We’ve began to treat her more when she’s doing nothing or relaxing so hopefully this is the same thing? Yes she’s only 10 weeks and doesn’t have her second set of jabs for another week or so we take her out in a back pack to smell, see and hear things and play with her through the day. She’s a Sprocker so naturally has loads of energy I believe. Also working on recall which is fine in the house but in the garden she’s too distracted me smells and things to be as consistent. Thanks Toby
Pretty much, yeah. This way you're telling her what to do, and not what not to do, which is really hard for dogs to understand. That's great that you are rewarding for the behavior you like- you should see results soon :) . Ah yes, the spaniels... I have a spaniel- BC mix, so I get the high-energy dog thing lol :)
Out of curiosity, does she do good recalls when outside, but on a leash? (as opposed to off-leash in the garden where you can't enforce very easily)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we’re currently working on the recalls now using high value treats (chicken), she’s good but still long way to go with that one. In the garden she tends to get very distracted with all the smells and trying to eat everything! Trying to do recall practice at least 3 times a day so hopefully clicks soon.
thanks toby

Pretty much, yeah. This way you're telling her what to do, and not what not to do, which is really hard for dogs to understand. That's great that you are rewarding for the behavior you like- you should see results soon :) . Ah yes, the spaniels... I have a spaniel- BC mix, so I get the high-energy dog thing lol :)
Out of curiosity, does she do good recalls when outside, but on a leash? (as opposed to off-leash in the garden where you can't enforce very easily)

·
Registered
145 Posts
we’re currently working on the recalls now using high value treats (chicken), she’s good but still long way to go with that one. In the garden she tends to get very distracted with all the smells and trying to eat everything! Trying to do recall practice at least 3 times a day so hopefully clicks soon.
thanks toby
That makes sense. I'm sure you'll start to see more progress on that soon! Good luck!
With my dog, I ended up having to switch from treats to tug for outside rewards- she didn't care enough about hotdog lol- that's nice that your dog likes food treats, I find them to be more convenient. Anyway, have fun raising your puppy! I'm sure she's very happy with you :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts