Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 9 almost 10 week old lab/cocker spaniel mix. I have done research and expected him to be mouthy/bitey but I feel like he bites sooo much. I have tried several things and while I know it takes time for this behaviour to stop I just need some more suggestions or to know if i should keep doing what i am doing.

I have tried the yelping method when he bites, acting like I am really hurt when he bites me but he doesn't seem to notice. He stops biting for that moment but then continues.

I give him chew things/toys when he starts biting to direct him to what is appropriate to bite.

I have tried and still tell him no when he bites.

What else can i do? I know that puppy biting is how they communicate with other dogs/litter matess but is this normal? should i just wait it out? should i correct them? i heard that puppies need to learn something called soft mouth? how can i do that?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
So I have a 9 almost 10 week old lab/cocker spaniel mix. I have done research and expected him to be mouthy/bitey but I feel like he bites sooo much. I have tried several things and while I know it takes time for this behaviour to stop I just need some more suggestions or to know if i should keep doing what i am doing.

I have tried the yelping method when he bites, acting like I am really hurt when he bites me but he doesn't seem to notice. He stops biting for that moment but then continues.

I give him chew things/toys when he starts biting to direct him to what is appropriate to bite.

I have tried and still tell him no when he bites.

What else can i do? I know that puppy biting is how they communicate with other dogs/litter matess but is this normal? should i just wait it out? should i correct them? i heard that puppies need to learn something called soft mouth? how can i do that?
Read the sticky 'the bite stops here' in the 'new dog owners' section.

Also? That second where he stops when you yelp? That's him getting it, and that second pause is what you reenforce to show him that the stop is what you want. When he stops? Shove a treat in his mouth, give him a ball, distract him. Also - sticky, re: bite stops here. It's good info.

But he's GOING to mouth and bite a *ton*. It's just. What puppies do.

·
Registered
332 Posts
As CptJack said, read the sticky, The Bite Stops Here, however sometimes I have to yelp 2 or 3 times to get the playbow apology but over the past week her mouthing has gotten softer, except when she's super excited which we avoid by ignoring her. When she gets super excited we "Look for Rain." Cross arms over chest (like you're gonna do a sit-up) and then look up at the ceiling till she calms down. Takes about 30 secs for me.

I don't remember if the sticky mentions it, but also make sure the pup's needs are met. My pup gets extra mouthy when she's hungry, tired, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts