Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 6 mo old puppy has known sit for months and is normally very good at sitting when asked, still perfecting to not have to repeat it but he generally does it when asked however the last couple of days I've noticed that when there is something he really wants he will not sit such as when he wants to go outside and play and he's really hyper at the door and is just ready to dart out the door, normally I've been able to have him sit and I can open the door and release him when ready but now he will absolutley not sit, is this normal? I don't let him out when he wont listen but how do I get him to focus even when he's really wanting to go out?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It's pretty normal. At 6 months old they are beginning to gain some independence, and sometimes they try to push buttons to figure out how to get what they want.

So, the best thing you can do is wait him out. The door does not open until he waits patiently and sits. This phase will pass, don't worry. I've found you just need to be very patient and understanding with them, just like teenage humans!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It sounds normal to me, he's still young and learning. He's losing focus and becoming more confident and independent. Just be patient with him. My puppy loses focus and gets all hyper. I just keep working him and if it's needed give him a break before we get back at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts